10g stocking questions!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Legures, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Legures

Legures Valued Member Member

Hi, I have a vacant 10 gallon tank that's cycled and ready for fish. It has 20 gallons worth of filtration, an airpump, and a heater (that's available). The substrate is gravel and there is one piece of driftwood, 3 fake plants and a mini cave decor from my LFS.

I wanted to know what I could stock. I want fish that are common enough so that chain LFS like PetSmart has them. I either want one big centerpiece fish like a GBR with some snails or shrimp or fairly small-medium schooling fish. (I'm not a real big fan of neon's) I kinda want a mix of compatible schooling fish (like different species that are willing to school together).

I know that 10g is pretty small and my options are limited for this tank ):

2. spdrbob

spdrbob Valued Member Member

Sounds like you know what your doing.. 10g is small and tough to work with. I have one and just added a male and female sword tail, the are great looking together...Just what I'm doing in my 10g..

3. c

cnidaria New Member Member

Hi Legures- Being new to the hobby, I spent 6 months researching before touching any fish or fish related items, so please take what I say with a grain of salt (as I would always advise) :). If you want to go community, I would go a schooling group of one of the following: zebra danios (careful they can be nippy if not in large group), Rasboras (i find them fascinating and I never get bored of watching them), or Platys. These are all fish that my Petsmart in Texas carry. From the size I see of a Blue Ram, I am not sure I would keep him/her in a ten gallon, completely my personal opinion.

as to species that school together, I can tell you that from experience I had swords and platys school together (and breed, yikes), and I have had guppies and danios school together. I got away from guppies after researching some terrible breeding practices, but they are a good fish.

I am also partial to ghost shrimp, I think they are wonderful and add something special to any tank.

4. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i personally wouldn't do a ram in a 10g. they are active. you're right, stocking a 10 is challenging to do properly...but can be done.

you could do a couple honey gouramis, and a small school of espei rasboras...or ember tetras. i'd stay away from livebearers, except for endler's...they are small enough for a 10.

5. OP
    OP
    Legures

Legures Valued Member Member

All of the fish I wanted at my LFS were a little bit "off" so I passed and just got another Betta. It's a black male halfmoon with electric blue highlights on the body and the fins. It's amazing! I also just got another snail because I'm fond of snails. :p

Thanks for the responses anyways!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice