10g Stocking Questions - Newbie

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by butterypistachio, Jun 29, 2018.

1. butterypistachio

butterypistachioValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi I got a 10 gallon tank, with the filter, from my friend when she upgraded to a 30g. This is my first time taking care of my own tank and I have some stocking questions. In my tank I have 1 female guppy, 1male and 1female platy, 2 skirt tetras, and 4 mystery snails. Is this okay?
    Also I keep my water about 2-3 inches from the top, I'm hoping to breed my mysterys.

2. Indeever

IndeeverNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    5 years
  3. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,102
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hello and welcome to Fishlore :) We are happy to have you here.

Like @Indeever said, are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? If so, if the tank cycled? Do you have a filter or heater? Do you own a test kit? Is the tank planted?

All questions aside, you do have some issues with your stocking. Here:
    1. The platies are livebearers and since you don't have the proper ratio, you will have lots and lots of baby platies.

2. Is the guppy pregnant? (not a tip, just a question)

3. Skirt tetras need to be in groups of 6 or more, and I'm pretty sure they need at least 29 gallons.

4. Mystery snails have a reallly high bioload, and you are already pushing it with your current stock.

As for solutions, you can do one of the following:

1. Rehome everything except the male platy and get 2 more MALE platies.

2. Trade in the female guppy for male guppies, and keep your snails to breed (rehome the tetras and platies).

Or, if you are really attached to a kind of fish (not the skirts, they need a much larger tank) let me know and I'll see if I can work out a stocking plan ;)

4. OP
    OP
    butterypistachio

butterypistachioValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you!! Yes my tank is cycled, I did a ton of research, and planned to get my tank up, running, and cycle it for a week or two, but the friend that gave me that tank forced me to get fish the same day, I was so mad, but got 3 guppies and a snail and had to do a fish in cycle and lost my 2 males guppies. I do have the filter that she gave me, one that is suited for the tank, and I got a heater that is preset to 78. I dont have a testing kit yet, it's kind of expensive, but I am working on it and I take a water sample to petsmart once a week for now. I have 1 live plant, but ideally I'd like it totally planted but I was kind of rushed when I set up so I dont think that's an option for this tank anymore.

So my guppy was pregnant when I got her, but already had the babies and ate them all lol, and she is the only fish I am attached to, I'm more of a snail person.

I did not want the tetras, my roommate picked and bought them, as well as the platy, and now I dont know how to tell him we cant keep them and that is the only reason they are still here. I will be using your response as a reference when I try to talk to him about it if you dont mind.

I am unwilling to get rid of my guppy, nor get any more guppies. But I do like the sunburst platys, if i got rid of the tetras could I add 1 or 2 female platys? Breeding isn't a concern as I have another 10 gallon I'll be setting up soon just for baby snails and fish.

Again, thank you so much.

5. emmysjj

emmysjjWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,102
    Experience:
    5 years
    No problem! I'm so glad that you did your research.

You can tell him that the tetras will nip the guppys and platies as well.

The problem with the platies and guppies is that male platies can crossbreed with guppies, and with female platies, most will be prehit.

What do you plan to put in your other 10 gallon? Because I suggest you move your snails over in there.

If you can find a non prehit female platy (or a prehit one if you don't care) you could do your guppy and 2 platies.

I'd suggest getting another female guppy, they are social and are happier with company.

(sorry if this is all over the place, I'm super tired).

So, for now, I'd return all fish except for your guppy and snails.
    I'd get another female guppy to keep the other company.
    Keep it like that until you can move your snails. Once you do, you can add platies.

Let me know if I misunderstood or anything :)