10g stocking options

Matthew052248

Hello! i have a cycled non live planted 10g tank that currently has a betta. and i jus wanted to know your guys opinions on what i am thinking about stocking options. I also have a cycled 5g(not live planted). for the 10 g tank, i want to put pygmy (dwarf) corys and some white cloud mountain minnows, but dont know how many of each? any advice on the stocking and how many? for the 5g i think im gonna put the betta back in there (as it was previously there in the 5g) ,and maybe add some ghost shrimp in there in the future, (had them before with the same female betta, it worked out perfectly) so... basic overview on stocking: 10g: pygmy corys, and white cloud mountain minnows (need help to know how many or if you guys think its a good idea) 5g: betta and some ghost shrimp, Thanks in advance!

BigManAquatics

I think you should be able to do 6-8 pygmy's fairly well. Don't know about the minnows.

Upvote 0

Broggy

personally, I wouldn't do the minows either, they would take up too much of the bettas space. but if they betta was in the 5g, you could definitely do that.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

Alright thank you!
personally, I wouldn't do the minows either, they would take up too much of the bettas space. but if they betta was in the 5g, you could definitely do that.
yea im definelity not planning on keeping that many fish in one tank, the betta will go into the 5g, that being said, with the pygmy corys and minnows, how many of each in the 10g? (without the betta) 6-8 pygmys(most likely 6) and how many minnows? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Candace

Alright thank you!
yea im definelity not planning on keeping that many fish in one tank, the betta will go into the 5g, that being said, with the pygmy corys and minnows, how many of each in the 10g? (without the betta) 6-8 pygmys(most likely 6) and how many minnows? Thanks in advance!

The pygmy corys and white cloud mountain minnows are not temperature compatible, I'm sorry.
Corys: 77-82 degrees Fahrenheit
Minnows: 45-70 degrees Fahrenheit

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

The pygmy corys and white cloud mountain minnows are not temperature compatible, I'm sorry.
Corys: 77-82 degrees Fahrenheit
Minnows: 45-70 degrees Fahrenheit
Thanks for the reply! ive read that corys are within temps of 72-82 and minnows could be up to 78? but im not too sure, ive seen youtube videos also stating this

Upvote 0

Candace

Thanks for the reply! ive read that corys are within temps of 72-82 and minnows could be up to 78? but im not too sure, ive seen youtube videos also stating this

It's probably possible to keep them alive in that temperature but it's not right/healthy. They are a cold water fish and should not be kept in a tank with a heater unless there is chance it will fall below 45 degrees.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

It's probably possible to keep them alive in that temperature but it's not right/healthy. They are a cold water fish and should not be kept in a tank with a heater since the streams they originate from would get mountain run off, pretty much making the water cool all year long.
True, so what other fish do you suggest with pymgy corys? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

Really any kind of small tropical tetra or rasbora, if it's the coloring you like you could look at: Ember tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, Penguin Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, Chili Rasboras, Copper Rasboras, Emeral Eye Rasboras, Rummynose Rasboras.
black neon tetras seem interesting, how many should i get including the 6 pygmy corys?
Have you looked at ember tetras? They're small, colorful, and non aggressive.
where i live, stores dont really sell ember tetras :/
Neon tetras, guppies, mollies, platies, sparkling gouramis, a dwarf gourami, zebra danios and shell dwelling cichlids - to name a few.
i was previoulsy gonna get a dwarf gourami, but someone on a different forum suggested it may be too small of a tank and that dwarf goruami usually have a disease

Upvote 0

RedOnion

black neon tetras seem interesting, how many should i get including the 6 pygmy corys?

where i live, stores dont really sell ember tetras :/

i was previoulsy gonna get a dwarf gourami, but someone on a different forum suggested it may be too small of a tank and that dwarf goruami usually have a disease
6 of the black neon tetras would have to be the minimum you get.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

6 of the black neon tetras would have to be the minimum you get.
plus 6 pygmy corys? so that would be 12 fish in a 10 g tank? isnt that overstocked?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

plus 6 pygmy corys? so that would be 12 fish in a 10 g tank? isnt that overstocked?
they are both schooling fish, so they both need 6+, you could technically have both since one is at the bottom and the other is more mid level but you need to make sure your filter can handle that plus nitrates should not be too high, is your tank planted? Or you could just go with one kind and have like 8 of them and a snail+shrimp.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

they are both schooling fish, so they both need 6+, you could technically have both since one is at the bottom and the other is more mid level but you need to make sure your filter can handle that plus nitrates should not be too high, is your tank planted? Or you could just go with one kind and have like 8 of them and a snail+shrimp.
thats true, but i would want 2 species see different species react with each other you know? should i maybe get the pygmy corys and then a main fish like a dwarf gourami? also no the tank isnt planted as im still fairly new to fish keeping, dont wanna risk anything :/

Upvote 0

RedOnion

thats true, but i would want 2 species see different species react with each other you know? should i maybe get the pygmy corys and then a main fish like a dwarf gourami? also no the tank isnt planted as im still fairly new to fish keeping, dont wanna risk anything :/
Hmm dwarf gouramis can be a bit aggressive, what about 2 honey gouramis? They are a bit smaller then dwarfs and are much more peaceful.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

Hmm dwarf gouramis can be a bit aggressive, what about 2 honey gouramis? They are a bit smaller then dwarfs and are much more peaceful.
unfortunately honey gouramis arent around where i live, unless i buy online?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

unfortunately honey gouramis arent around where i live, unless i buy online?
You could do that, or you could try a betta but it is 50/50 chance of it being peaceful with the pygmys

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

I would not put any of the tetras in such a small tank except for Ember tetras and Chili rasbora. The last one is considered a Microrasboras and are small and perfect for a ten gallon.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

I would not put any of the tetras in such a small tank except for Ember tetras and Chili rasbora. The last one is considered a Microrasboras and are small and perfect for a ten gallon.
yes i was thinking about chili rasboras, how many of them and how many of pygmy corys would i put? or maybe peppered corys? ive had good experience with them. what do you guys think about peppered corys instead of the pygmy corys?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

If you can order fish, then I will say embers are sm fun to have. I have 7 in my 10g with some baby cories which are growing out in there until I move them and some shrimp and snail. They are very peaceful with everyone and are a cute bright orange.
yes i was thinking about chili rasboras, how many of them and how many of pygmy corys would i put? or maybe peppered corys? ive had good experience with them. what do you guys think about peppered corys instead of the pygmy corys?
I wouldnt do the peppered, they are bigger and you cant have both the peppered and another species. I would just do the pygmys instead. You would still also need a minimum of 6 for the chili rasboras but they are extremely tiny that I would think they would be fine in the 10g w/ the pygmys.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

If you can order fish, then I will say embers are sm fun to have. I have 7 in my 10g with some baby cories which are growing out in there until I move them and some shrimp and snail. They are very peaceful with everyone and are a cute bright orange.

I wouldnt do the peppered, they are bigger and you cant have both the peppered and another species. I would just do the pygmys instead. You would still also need a minimum of 6 for the chili rasboras but they are extremely tiny that I would think they would be fine in the 10g w/ the pygmys.
alright well sounds good, i will contact my lfs and other aquariums too see if they have these fish in stock, so that would be 5-6 pygmy's and around 5-6 chili rasboars? but that wouldnt be overstocked right because both species are very small?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

alright well sounds good, i will contact my lfs and other aquariums too see if they have these fish in stock, so that would be 5-6 pygmy's and around 5-6 chili rasboars? but that wouldnt be overstocked right because both species are very small?
I would add each group of fish at seperate times so it isnt too much on your filter. What filter are you using? It would help if there were plants but as long as you can keep nitrates under 20ppm you should be fine.

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

I would only do the pygmy corys and then some sort of micro rasbora about 6 or so of each if you do a planted tank. Maybe a couple more of each.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

I would add each group of fish at seperate times so it isnt too much on your filter. What filter are you using? It would help if there were plants but as long as you can keep nitrates under 20ppm you should be fine.
the filter i believe is the top fin silenstream 10 power filter

Upvote 0

RedOnion

the filter i believe is the top fin silenstream 10 power filter
Ah okay I have that too on my 10g, what do you have inside the filter?

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

Ah okay I have that too on my 10g, what do you have inside the filter?
this might sound ridiculous, but it is a dish sponge, my uncle who is a fish master lol has about 7 different tanks, which are some of the biggest ones ive even seen has the same sponge in them. Its a non cellulose tho so it wont break down, it works perfectly, been in my 5 g for years and it is still going strong, not disintergrating, just after a couple months, put it into dirty fish tank water and bam its clean and good to use again, sounds very riduculous but it works, never been a problem for my uncle or my 5 g

Upvote 0

RedOnion

this might sound ridiculous, but it is a dish sponge, my uncle who is a fish master **** has about 7 different tanks, which are some of the biggest ones ive even seen. Its a non cellulose tho so it wont break down, it works perfectly, been in my 5 g for five years and it is still going strong, not disintergrating, just after a couple months, put it into dirty water and bam its clean and good to use again, sounds very riduculous but it works, never been a problem for my uncle or my 5 g
If it works for yall both then thats good, I was gonna say having a sponge in there is better than those cartridges anyways, so its good you dont have those cartridges. A small bag of biomax isnt bad too with the sponge as well.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

If it works for yall both then thats good, I was gonna say having a sponge in there is better than those cartridges anyways, so its good you dont have those cartridges. A small bag of biomax isnt bad too with the sponge as well.
oh yea i want to get some bio rings or whatver its called lol (sorry im not an expert lol) but yea i want those, probably will put them in when i have a bigger tank
also i have a question, i was using a website where it tells you if its good for your tank (like filter capacity e.t.c. It says that i should add more aquarium filtration capacity and that the capacity is at 78%
it also says my stocking level is 87 which is pretty good, and that i need to do 24% water changes weekly, anywho, i will let you guys know when i call stores near me to see if they have in stock, thanks!

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

Update: I got 6 pygmy corys and now i dont know if im gonna get chili rasboras,ive done research and it says that these rasboras like to have soft harder while my water is moderately hard, so i dont wanna risk anything. Now i am thinking about 2 honey gouramis, (in a month or so once the filter is used to the new fish) let me know what you think! Whether its a good idea, or maybe what genders. Thanks!

Upvote 0

RedOnion

Update: I got 6 pygmy corys and now i dont know if im gonna get chili rasboras,ive done research and it says that these rasboras like to have soft harder while my water is moderately hard, so i dont wanna risk anything. Now i am thinking about 2 honey gouramis, (in a month or so once the filter is used to the new fish) let me know what you think! Whether its a good idea, or maybe what genders. Thanks!
One male and one female of honey will be perfect. Usually the male will be more yellow and bright, the female is a bit duller in color and sometimes has this faded black line going horizontally.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

One male and one female of honey will be perfect. Usually the male will be more yellow and bright, the female is a bit duller in color and sometimes has this faded black line going horizontally.
Would the honey gouramis eat the pygmy corys because of their size? also is 6 pygmy corys and 2 honey gouramis ok for a 10g? or will it be overstocked?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

Would the honey gouramis eat the pygmy corys because of their size? also is 6 pygmy corys and 2 honey gouramis ok for a 10g? or will it be overstocked?
nope their mouths are tiny! I have had them with shrimp and they havent even ate the shrimp. Theyre not aggressive either so it shouldnt be a problem. If possible add some easy low light plants in the tank, it will really help the fish and tank. Add the honeys later, first check your nitrates with the pygmys in a week. Check it before water change. If it is under 10ppm you could add the honeys if its is over then you may have to only get one honey male instead. You really want to keep the nitrates under 20ppm and if you have plants they can eat that as fertilizer for them.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

nope their mouths are tiny! I have had them with shrimp and they havent even ate the shrimp. Theyre not aggressive either so it shouldnt be a problem. If possible add some easy low light plants in the tank, it will really help the fish and tank. Add the honeys later, first check your nitrates with the pygmys in a week. Check it before water change. If it is under 10ppm you could add the honeys if its is over then you may have to only get one honey male instead. You really want to keep the nitrates under 20ppm and if you have plants they can eat that as fertilizer for them.
oh alright perfect also i have another question and it might be ridiculous, but if they breed, would they eat their own fry or babies, because i dont really want such an overstocked tank or something like that lol. And also going back to my previous question, is it too overstocked with 2 honey gouramis and 6 pygmy? Also yea ill wait a month or if i were to add the honeys just to be safe and wait for maybe the pygmy to grow a little.

Upvote 0

RedOnion

oh alright perfect also i have another question and it might be ridiculous, but if they breed, would they eat their own fry or babies, because i dont really want such an overstocked tank or something like that lol. And also going back to my previous question, is it too overstocked with 2 honey gouramis and 6 pygmy? Also yea ill wait a month or if i were to add the honeys just to be safe and wait for maybe the pygmy to grow a little.
They could potentially breed and I dont think the pygmys or the honey will eat the fry. In all honesty I would just go with one honey gourami in a 10g and the pygmys. Its not overstocked and you wouldnt have any fry. Its really your safest bet. It would not be overstocked with 1 honey and the 6 pygmys but I am not sure if I can say the same about 2 honeys.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

They could potentially breed and I dont think the pygmys or the honey will eat the fry. In all honesty I would just go with one honey gourami in a 10g and the pygmys. Its not overstocked and you wouldnt have any fry. Its really your safest bet. It would not be overstocked with 1 honey and the 6 pygmys but I am not sure if I can say the same about 2 honeys.
alright that sounds good, ill get 1 male/female honey gourami, and maybe in the future another if im feeling very comfortable another but very unlikely lol which should i get female or male, also as for the breeding what about the pygmy cory?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

alright that sounds good, ill get 1 male/female honey gourami, and maybe in the future another if im feeling very comfortable another but very unlikely lol which should i get female or male, also as for the breeding what about the pygmy cory?
They will breed sometimes but you can easily remove it off the glass if the honey has not eaten it yet. They lay small eggs on the glass surface, so they can easily be scraped off with your hand. In the future if you see your water parameters can handle another honey, then go for it! Males have better coloration so I would get a male honey gourami.

Upvote 0

Matthew052248

They will breed sometimes but you can easily remove it off the glass if the honey has not eaten it yet. They lay small eggs on the glass surface, so they can easily be scraped off with your hand. In the future if you see your water parameters can handle another honey, then go for it! Males have better coloration so I would get a male honey gourami.
alright sounds perfect, 1 male gourami once parameters are stable. So the honey will eat the eggs? does it affect them or anything? but then again it shouldnt be a problem to remove it except for the fact that i know they are really sticky lol, but yea does it affect the honeys by eating the eggs, just want to make sure

Upvote 0

RedOnion

alright sounds perfect, 1 male gourami once parameters are stable. So the honey will eat the eggs? does it affect them or anything? but then again it shouldnt be a problem to remove it except for the fact that i know they are really sticky lol, but yea does it affect the honeys by eating the eggs, just want to make sure
nope its just some yummy protien to them lol

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cadgey
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
  • Question
Replies