10g setup

1. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

So I'm about to be getting my 10g setup. I used to have 3 or 4 but was young and didn't know anything.

I would like a planted tank, not sure about wattage. I'd like to stick with my wisteria, maybe Amazon sword.

Would 4 or 5 cories and a pair of rams be good? I have a shelf for a 2nd 10g on the stand. May use that for angel aggression tank until I can rehome one should any arise. Thanks!

2. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

You should have minimum six cories, get the kind that stay small, you will need sand substrate.

Two rams might be too much for a 10 G. Some rams are difficult to take care of. Be careful.

Amazon Sword and Wisteria will do well in a 10G. Good choice

3. Watehobit Member Member

Habrosus or Pygmy Cories would be appropriate for that size tank.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. eds48 Member Member

Rams require perfect water conditions which is why they can be considered as difficult I would also get at least a 20 gallon for a pair because it would be easier to keep water parameters and simply because its larger for the fish

5. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

No to the rams, and a maybe to the cories. You will need to stick to smaller breeds of cories (pygmaeous, habrosus, or hastatus, maybe false juliis) and get at least 6.

With these, you could do a small group of fish like endler's or something.

With the plants you names, you'll want a medium-lighted plant. This generally means ~2-3 watts per gallon. A desk lamp with a 18W 6500K bulb in it over the tank would be fine.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A Honey gourami & 6 habrosus or pygmy corys would work in a 10 gallon, or a Honey & some chili rasboras

7. hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

I personally wouldn't recommend a honey gourami for a 10 gallon. Many people have had success with them in 10's, but many people also feel that they are happier in a bigger tank. The fish will live and be OK, but honey's still aren't the best option. IMHO, why get a fish for a tank if it will be only ok, and not thriving, when you can easily stock with something else?

8. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

There is really almost nothing small enough to live in a 10 gallon tank. I know, my friend who runs a university laboratory keeps telling me I can stuff all kinds of fish, even mollies, into teeny tiny tanks. but I can't deal with all the stress involved.

here is a list of some options:
    1) a shoal of pygmy cories into this small tank with three dwarf rasboras
    2) 14 male Endler's
    3) 3-4 fancy male guppies
    4) 2 male and 5 female swamp guppies with a male platy as a fry eater;
    5) 1 or 2 Bettas with a well camouflaged divider down the middle, hiding them from each other
    6) 2-3 African dwarf frogs.
    7) 4 - 8 neons or Pristellas (or four of each) if you can keep them alive in your water

I do not recommend honey gouramis 2 people unless they have soft acidic water and are experienced as these are delicate fish. If you do try honey gouramis, I would not put more than one unless you are trying for a breeding pair. while they are very peaceful fish, they still have their own territories when confronted with others of their own kind and need space for comfort.

I would say that this Tank is definitely too small for false Julii as they need more swimming space than people realize. Please also stay away from oto cats even though they are small as you cannot grow in the smaller tank to support a shoal of them even if you're lucky enough to have them survive the QT.