10g Restocking for a Grumpy Betta

bcsay720

It's been about 2.5 weeks now since purchasing my betta for my 10g tank stocked with 2 mystery snails, 2 amano shrimp, and a school of glowlight tetras. I purposefully picked an interested though calm one from the aquarium store. Everything was going fine. Major Tom, my betta, had mood swings because he hates water changes or his bubble nest being ruined, but he was never overly aggressive toward my tetras, which I was most worried about. If they were in his territory, he would rush them, but he wouldn't keep going after them when they left. And he loves the inverts.

But then my snails both died a few days ago, and he has become a monster, even after I got him a new snail (who he also loves). Fin rot, excessive flaring at his reflection, and aggression toward the tetras. I was just teaching a lesson online, and when I went to go check on him, he took off two of his scales, probably from chasing the tetras (I did a water change on my lunch break, which clearly didn't help his mood). I definitely cannot keep them together anymore. I have a quaratine tank running for a few of the tetras who are being quarantined for fungus, so I'll likely move the rest of the school in there tonight. It's only a 2 g, though, which is obviously way too small for 7 fish (I'll do daily water changes to make sure this doesn't become a huge problem for the time being). I will likely try to rehome them, though no one in my town seems to be helpful with aquarium stuff at all, so that might be a bit of an issue.

I'd like to restock the 10 g with another kind of fish one Major Tom's fin rot clears up (mostly because my boyfriend doesn't want a "big tank" for only one fish). What do you think I can put with him that won't bother him? I was thinking some kind of bottomfeeder/algae eater since they're sort of like the inverts and will stay out of his way, but I've never owned them before, and I know from other forums on here that they can be tricky to take care of. Any advice here? Thanks!

BigManAquatics

Maybe some pygmy cories or some other smaller cory that a 10g will be enough room for a school of.

Upvote 0

FishSupreme

I might be missing something, but what happened to the Amano shrimp. If you are looking for a Betta tankmate invert which eats Algae they would be perfect. Some will get killed, but the biggest will eventually be left alone.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

I dont think he can see the shrimp, honestly. They like to stay in shaded spots. I've considered adding more of them and maybe getting another snail. They're definitely one of the cheaper things I could add.

It may also be important to mention that the new snail is asleep in his nap spot. Since he loves snails, he hasn't bothered it, but that also means he hasn't slept all day.... which could also explain his mood.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
bcsay720
Replies
Views