10g Overhaul, Shrimp Jungle

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Bluestreakfl, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

As some of you may know, this 10g was my first ever tank. I went through some major ups and downs when I first started and had no clue about fish keeping. Once things calmed down, it has been home to 4 male fancy guppies, and what started as 6 Red cherry shrimp. I've since fallen in love with shrimp, so today I decided it was finally time to do what I've been talking about for a while. The guppies got evicted, but are much happier now in my 55g freshwater planted peaceful community tank. I don't know how many shrimp I have at this point in the 10g, but I'd guess somewhere around 40+ easily. So, work starts now. Water sprite got a major trimming. The hideous gravel that I don't know why I ever bought in the first place, is getting capped with some black Tahitian moon sand. The remaining piece of non planted driftwood, as well as a new piece, are getting planted with Anubias Nana and Java Fern Windelov Lace. I'm also removing the whisper internal filter and replacing it with a Sponge filter. Here is a before photo, and I'll have an after photo uploaded in another hour or so once it's done. I have 15 more shrimp, but higher grades on their way from Vyvid ranging from high grade Sakura to Painted Fire red. I'm excited to see how this looks when it's all done.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436224576.700729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

off to a good start. Alison

3. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

And we're done! I have way more shrimp than I realized, just goes to show how really adept they are at hiding. With the guppies gone they started coming out of the woodwork, and all the commotion of trimming the water sprite, moving decor and adding more substrate, they're everywhere!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436236243.322773.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436236255.707319.jpg

I'm also thinking of trying to slice some terra cotta pots in half to make little huts to fill in the gaps in the scape, but that will be later when I'm bored.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks great!

5. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Thanks! Heres a video of them grazing.

[video=youtube;n1CjkHDvUDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CjkHDvUDg[/video]

6. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Got my newbies in from Vyvid and they are stunning! Nice rich red color, and my existing shrimp we're glad to have some new friends. Also got a red Rili in the batch as well.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436619142.408838.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436619155.060492.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436619166.728210.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436619178.014422.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436619197.783122.jpg

7. Vyvid

Vyvid Well Known Member Member

Their new home looks awesome. Glad you like them. They will get brighter as they mature and settle in :)

8. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

I like the black substrate. I have the same natural brown gravel you just removed. Been thinking about going black too.

9. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Yeah they're already coloring up more since settling in, and I've seen a few more molts just since last night.

Regarding the gravel, it was ok with my guppies but made the shrimp look so bland, they kinda blended in with it too well. They really stand out now and it didn't take much sand to just cap the gravel.

10. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436670446.800552.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436670477.287139.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436670507.441111.jpg

Somebody loves their dinner, they devoured it!

11. Vyvid

Vyvid Well Known Member Member

Which one is that? brown?

12. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Was, lol

Just a tiny little piece of it because it expanded as I figured it would so I went sparingly.

13. s

s2c2 Valued Member Member

Bluestreakfl, Beautiful tank, photos and video! Thank you for sharing!

14. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

This is exactly what I want to do with my 5.5 but now I'm thinking I should do it with the 10g I have that's empty! Super cool!

15. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Looks really nice. Alison

16. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Thanks for all the compliments, I'm really happy with how the tank turned out. I may add some more quartz crystals rather than go with the terra cotta as I really like the way they look. I spotted a very tiny baby last night, about the size of a grain of sand, so I'm guessing there are more in hiding somewhere, I also have another one that is prego, so more babies on the way!

17. kidster9700

Can I ask where you got the Quartz? I like the way it looks. Thinking of using that for my shrimp tank..,

18. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

My grandfather use to be huge into lapidary, cutting gems, crystals, rocks, making jewelry, so when he passed I inherited the collection of stones and equipment. Quartz is actually fairly common though. If you have any kind of New Age or Occult type store around, they usually carry an abundance of crystals and quartz is super cheap. Otherwise you can get lots of them on ebay or amazon for cheap. Just look for terminated quartz, Terminated meaning it has the natural cut pattern point shape.

19. kidster9700

Okay, I have some quartz crystals already I just didn't know if you got them somewhere specific. None of mine are that clear.

20. OP
    OP
    Bluestreakfl

Id be a bit more cautious if they arent super clear, as they may contian other mineral deposits on the bases. things like iron, copper etc that you definitely wouldnt want in a shrimp tank. Even super clear ones are pretty cheap, and worth the peace of mind, imo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice