10g over stocked? +other questions

1. theicechinchilla Initiate Member

Hi everyone, I'm rather new to fishlore and had a question on whether or not I overstocked my tank. I have 1 albino Bristlenose Pleco, 3 Guppies (1:2 M:F), and one very old, one-eyed Black Skirt Tetra. The pleco is just a baby and will probably relocate him once he gets to 2 - 2 1/2 inches. So I have a couple questions regarding this set up.
    1. Is the Tetra okay by himself? They have a reputation to nip guppies but he has one eye and seems to keep to himself.
    2. Is it mean to keep the tetra like this? I'm afraid that he will be picked on if I put him with his own kind like he was before.
    3. will he eventually become aggressive towards the guppies?
    4. is this over-stocked?

2. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

TexasDomer will probably be able to help. I believe the bristlenose will need more room then a ten gallon. The black skirt also needs more then a ten gallon, and a group of six or more due to their activity level. The guppys alone with how they breed will probably fill up that ten gallon pretty fast with fry.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. The BN needs a 29 gal minimum and the skirt tetra needs a 20 gal minimum (and 5 more of the same species). I'd rehome both of them (and you can rehome the BN now, no need to wait).

I'd rehome the female guppies and get more males too. Otherwise you'll be overrun with fry (they won't eat them all) and you'll be stressed with the overstocked tank.

4. theicechinchilla Initiate Member

The tetra is like 4 or 5 years old and I don't have the room or money to get a new tank. I can take him to a pet store that takes fish but I don't know if he could even survive that, let alone be put into a good home. I JUST bough the females today because I had two males that were extremely aggressive towards each other. I heard that the proper ratio was 1 male for 2 females. Should I just return all of them then?

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would. Given the age of the tetra, is it possible that he could be kept in the 10, alone as he's always been? On the other hand, it would be nice to give him a proper group.

6. theicechinchilla Initiate Member

He had another buddy about a month ago but he died of old age at like 4. He was a Neon one though so they don't live as long.

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Neon Tetras and Black Skirt Tetras aren't related. Even if they were, two of them wouldn't have been enough to form a proper group. Neons also live longer in cooler water.

8. theicechinchilla Initiate Member

Well after a long discussion it looks like I could possibly get a 20-30 gallon tank. The tank will need to cycle though. Is it still worth keeping them?

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would say yes! It is trickier, but it is possible to cycle a tank with fish in it. It just takes close observation and very frequent testing and water changes. Oh, and a big bottle of Prime;)

Is your 10 cycled at least? You can always just move the filter over to the new tank to let it run alongside the bigger filter, or you can remove the media from the 10's filter and put it in the new filter somewhere for an instant cycle. You'll want to stock slowly though to allow the BB time to colonize the new filter to be able to handle the higher bioload.

10. theicechinchilla Initiate Member

Yes, it's cycled to the best of my knowledge. I honestly don't think I could handle giving them away. However flawed I may be in my fish keeping, I can at least learn. But I know for every one of me there are at least 50 people that know nothing about fish and I just couldn't handle the possibility of them killing MY fish. Thank you for your help though. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can find a cheap tank kit? (Couldn't find anything on craigslist)

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Keep looking on Craigslist, things pop up all the time, and don't just look under the pets section. For some reason on my local Craigslist the pets heading is the least likely spot to find fish tanks. People post cats and dogs under pets but fish go under "general merchandise":;dk

Also have a look for other classifieds sites in your area. In mine Craigslist is actually one of the least popular!