10g Nano?

1. crazedACD Member Member

Just pondering here..not sure if I want to do this, just trying to get some ideas.

We have these kits at work, 12g saltwater kits. This is what they have:
    Instant Ocean 12 gal Marine Starter Kit

Everything you'll need to get started in saltwater. Includes a 50/50 actinic compact fluorescent lamp, seamless acrylic or polystyrene aquarium, Instant Ocean salt, Instant Ocean hydrometer, plants, and a heater.

Well...other than improved lighting and the salt, there's not much more than what I have for my 10g. Would it be that hard to convert my fresh 10g to salt? What other equipment would I need...would I need powerheads, a protein skimmer, etc? What type of filter is best (I would probably find a better filter as mine is just a stock tetra one). I've read that you don't even need a filter if you have enough live rock. I was considering doing the nano reef thing, but I really don't know the first thing about keeping corals (what would I need for that?).

I am interesting in keeping one or two fish and a coral banded shrimp (I love them). Maybe a clownfish and a small goby...or a pair of bangai cardinals (probably would be stretching it there though). What kind of maintenance would I be looking at? Sometimes I go away for like 4 or 5 days (maybe twice a year), and there would be no one to do any kind of maintenance other than feeding (maybe I could get mom to add water but I'm not sure I trust her). Hmm..might be better off waiting and picking up like a 30g, but I'm curious if I can pull it off with what I have.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Crazed. Hopefully you'll get some responses from our salt members today.
    Ken

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey there, good to see someone else wanting to take the plunge. :p

The Instant Ocean kits are overpriced for what you get IMO. I'm trying to remember the specs on the lighting, but I'm pretty sure it's insufficient for most corals if you were wanting to try a reef. I really think you could piece together your own equipment and get much better stuff for roughly the same cost. When I worked at a LFS I could order stuff for myself and get it for a discount. Are you able to do this as well? What brands does your store sell? If I know what you can get your hands on, I'll probably be able to help you pick some stuff out. :)

4. crazedACD Member Member

Yes I get anything we carry in the store 20% off, and if we don't carry it and I order it I get it for 10% above cost (woot). We mostly carry Hagen stuff (and everything that falls under that, Fluval/Marina/AquaClear). Tetra and Marineland too. I can order from the Marine Depot for wholesale prices, too. http://www.marinedepot.com/ Haha, pretty much anything I want I can get.

From the other thread, I wouldn't need a protein skimmer, right? And any ole HOB filter will do if I have enough live rock?

Lighting confuses me very much..I don't want anything extravagant, just a few hardy corals or something with the least expense in lighting. I am not a handy/DIY type person either haha. Maybe I should look past the corals for now and just do FOWLR...hmm.

5. locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

HI there,
    I for one love corals, but never see myself keeping them. I love their look but kind find their care intimidating. I only keep fish with sand and rock. If you are going to fish only (as I like to call it) than switching from the fresh into the salt will not be difficult at all. All you will need is sand and rock. For a 10 g I would sugjest around 3-5 lb of rock and depending on how much sand you want around 10-15 lb of sand. The heater and lights that are stock on the 10 gallon kit will be ok for fish only tanks. The filter might not be adequate if you don't plan to run a powerhead. I don't run powerheads on mine but I use the Marineland's Pinguin 150. I suggest you run at least 150 gallon per hour filter but not higher than 200 gph filter if you are not ging to use powerheads. If you do use powerheads than the filter that is stock will be ok. If you decide to use powerhead I would suggest the Hydor Koralia Nano or the smallest water pump that Rio makes (forgot the model number but I think it runs like 56-60 gph). Also on the stocking of fish you are going to be limited to maybe 3-4 fish depending on what fish you decide to goto. I would suggest not to put a fish that gets bigger than 4 inches unless you plan to put him in a bigger tank.

I run alot of small tanks if you are interested to see my tanks look them up on youtube under my ID from here.