10g Invertebrate Tank - Setup Help

Sxotty44

Reaction score
Hello! I'm adding 3 new tanks over the course of the next few weeks (i will post other threads regarding the other two, 29g and 75g). Wanted some ideas for the most "fun", or diverse, or even exotic look I can get here. Specific snails (keeping in mind solutions to over breeding, Nerite only? Or adding Assasin snails? Rabbit snails ok? etc) - Where in this covid world can a guy find a Vampire (viper) shrimp (for my larger tank)? Neocardina and Cardina shrimp ok to mix? How many of each can I stock?
Aquascape design ideas for the inverts to be happiest? Maintenance or food suggestions? Anything at all would help. Hers what I got

This is a current 10g Aqueon kit, gravel and planted, very basic community tank (a few tetras, guppies, mystery snail, corys, and a betta). I am planning on repurposing as a carefully aquascaped, well Planted, Invertebrate Tank- Assorted Shrimp, Thai Micro Crab, African Dwarf Frog, Nerite Snails… that type of tank. Do you have any specific ideas do's/dont's?
Basically I was going to start with some assorted shrimp and snails, and add as I go and see what’s what.

Substrate:
(1) 8lbs of cheap but good aquarium gravel in mesh bio bags, to be used for height/base/structural, mixed with 4lb of the old gravel in my current tank. All of this (12lb) will be buried for structure/scaping only. 30lbs total base. ($.40/lb)
(2) 18bs of Fluval Stratum (1 bag= $42= 17.6lbs= $2.38/lb)
(3) 5lb Caribsea Aquasand, small sectioned off island/river (on sale $.50/lb=40lb=$20)

Decor:
Cholla wood logs, lava rock, spiderwood etc/ all carved up, chiseled, cleaned (was going to boil, water log a few days soaking, and add some hydrogen peroxide,), I will glue some moss where I want and create the shapes I want before I scape the tank.

Thanks in advance fish friends - peace and gratitude

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Petzonesd.com has vampire shrimp in stock. Neos and Cardina can mix just fine, you can stock with 10-20+ of each to start and have plenty of room for population growth. If you can find micro crabs let me know where! If you don't mind a few shrimp being eaten you can definitely keep a handful of ADF in there. Could I also suggest keeping dwarf crays instead of the frogs- I keep both and the crays have such cute personalities and would look like titans walking amongst the shrimp lol.

OP
S

Sxotty44

Reaction score
Willj626 said:
Petzonesd.com has vampire shrimp in stock. Neos and Cardina can mix just fine, you can stock with 10-20+ of each to start and have plenty of room for population growth. If you can find micro crabs let me know where! If you don't mind a few shrimp being eaten you can definitely keep a handful of ADF in there. Could I also suggest keeping dwarf crays instead of the frogs- I keep both and the crays have such cute personalities and would look like titans walking amongst the shrimp lol.
Awesome help here, thanks so much! Where might I get your african dwarf crays? great idea im looking into as we speak
have u had any experience with the vampires?

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sxotty44 said:
Awesome help here, thanks so much! Where might I get your african dwarf crays? great idea im looking into as we speak
have u had any experience with the vampires?
I've never kept vampire shrimp myself so I have no experience to speak from with them. Also sorry for the confusion in my previous comment; they're Mexican dwarf crayfish- the African was in reference. to the dwarf frogs. You can find dwarf crays in a variety of colors- I bought mine from Petzonesd.com as well, the shrimp farm also sells them though.

OP
S

Sxotty44

Reaction score
any kind of dwarf cray? electric blue? etc.. thanks again

Willj626 said:
I've never kept vampire shrimp myself so I have no experience to speak from with them. Also sorry for the confusion in my previous comment; they're Mexican dwarf crayfish- the African was in reference. to the dwarf frogs. You can find dwarf crays in a variety of colors- I bought mine from Petzonesd.com as well, the shrimp farm also sells them though.
awesome, i see now. thanks again!!!

New Threads