10g Guppy Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Little John, May 17, 2018.

1. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

I have 3 guppies in a 10 gallon could I add 1 or 2 more fish that are not guppies?

2. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

It depends... what other fish are you thinking of?

3. OP
    OP
    Little John

a platy or snails or some shrimp.

4. RainBetta

No on the platy... I've had issues with cross breeding. Ghost shrimp or Amani shrimp are perfect, same with a snail or two!!! :)

5. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

Platies and Guppies are two different families. They can't crossbreed. Maybe you had a Molly that you thought was a Platy?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. RainBetta

Oops! So
    Oops! I wrote platy but was thinking molly!!! Lol

7. OP
    OP
    Little John

so would a few platys work

8. RainBetta

Yup... I'd do 2 platies, 1 ghost shrimp, and 2 Assassin snails

9. wrs2

I would get more than 1 Ghost Shrimp. I got 10 and within a week I was down to 3. I don't think that they are all that hardy as a lot of times they are breed for food instead of pets.
    BUT the ones I have are awesome! They eat all the extra food, I bought 10 feeder guppies and they all ended up dying over night, and guess what? The three shrimp ate them! They are such a great cleaning crew!

10. Scott Lehmann

Scott Lehmann New Member Member

Just keep in mind if you have a male and female guppie chances are your going to get fry they breed like crazy

11. RainBetta

Oh! Some of my GS have lasted for about 2 years! At my LFS they are even labeled as "feeder shrimp (ghost shrimp)"

12. wrs2

I have 3 that are doing great, but they are so poorly bred that a big quantity of them won't last long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice