10g Guppy Tank

1. Little John

Little John Member Member

I have 3 guppies in a 10 gallon could I add 1 or 2 more fish that are not guppies?

2. RainBetta

RainBetta Member Member

It depends... what other fish are you thinking of?

3. OP
    OP
    Little John

a platy or snails or some shrimp.

4. RainBetta

RainBetta Member Member

No on the platy... I've had issues with cross breeding. Ghost shrimp or Amani shrimp are perfect, same with a snail or two!!! :)

5. wrs2

wrs2 Member Member

Platies and Guppies are two different families. They can't crossbreed. Maybe you had a Molly that you thought was a Platy?

6. RainBetta

RainBetta Member Member

Oops! So
    Oops! I wrote platy but was thinking molly!!! Lol

7. OP
    OP
    Little John

so would a few platys work

8. RainBetta

RainBetta Member Member

9. wrs2

wrs2 Member Member

I would get more than 1 Ghost Shrimp. I got 10 and within a week I was down to 3. I don't think that they are all that hardy as a lot of times they are breed for food instead of pets.
    BUT the ones I have are awesome! They eat all the extra food, I bought 10 feeder guppies and they all ended up dying over night, and guess what? The three shrimp ate them! They are such a great cleaning crew!

10. Scott Lehmann

Scott Lehmann Initiate Member

Just keep in mind if you have a male and female guppie chances are your going to get fry they breed like crazy

11. RainBetta

RainBetta Member Member

Oh! Some of my GS have lasted for about 2 years! At my LFS they are even labeled as "feeder shrimp (ghost shrimp)"

12. wrs2

wrs2 Member Member

I have 3 that are doing great, but they are so poorly bred that a big quantity of them won't last long.