10g Filter On 5g Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
While cleaning my tank on Wednesday my filter died.. I went to the LFS to get another one and they had the Deep Blue Nano which is what I already have on it but always seemed to have an issue keeping good water flow to the pump because of a piece of sponge I put on the intake for my betta. I had been considering a bigger filter to help with water clarity but I don't want to toss my betta around. I have an Aqueon Quietflow 10 on my 10 gallon and was wondering if that might be too much for him with a sponge on the intake. I was looking into the Aqueon AT10 but it would take a few days to get it from just about anywhere near me and I don't want to let him go another day without a filter.

Small Tanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use a Fluval 1U (which is rated for 15 G) in my 8 gallon, and a corner sponge pump (for more bubbles!) It's very quiet (and so clean).

The only thing with a lot of filtration in a tiny tank and a betta is making sure there's spaces to where there is less current for him to rest in. You may have to play a little with filter placement if your hood allows for it, you can also get a filter with an adjustable fl0w, and/or on a HOB filter put some sponge along the out flow to break it up a little bit so it's not such a strong/direct flow.

You can also use plants and objects to create breaks in the 'current' just be careful not to make complete dead zones.

OP
sinned4g63

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I use a Fluval 1U (which is rated for 15 G) in my 8 gallon, and a corner sponge pump (for more bubbles!) It's very quiet (and so clean).

The only thing with a lot of filtration in a tiny tank and a betta is making sure there's spaces to where there is less current for him to rest in. You may have to play a little with filter placement if your hood allows for it, you can also get a filter with an adjustable fl0w, and/or on a HOB filter put some sponge along the out flow to break it up a little bit so it's not such a strong/direct flow.

You can also use plants and objects to create breaks in the 'current' just be careful not to make complete dead zones.
The AT 10 had adjustable flow but I can't afford to wait for it. The Quietflow 10 does not have an adjustment but is about the same price as the one I already have. Plants are trying to recover from algae so that's not much help at the moment unfortunately. If you have any other recommendations for a filter that wouldn't be too much in a small tank that would be great but I can cover the buffers if need be so I'm not really worried about adjustable flow for now, just something suitable but not overkill. The same store had the AT15 but I thought that might be too much for a 5g..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Weekly

Votes: 85 68.5%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 21 16.9%

Top Bottom