10g female betta

1. TrainerRuby Member Member

My grandma has a betta in a 1g tank and I wanted to surprise her with a 10g for her betta. What could I get to accompany the betta? Her preference is bright colors and active fish.

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Fish, especially ones with bright colors and that are active, are a risk to add with a betta. I would go with shrimp and/or snails but only if the betta is docile as he/she may attack them too.

3. TrainerRuby Member Member

The betta is female and she is very docile. So far she hasn't even flared when shown a mirror

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

The aggression could go either way. Bettas don't seek out companions either. They really are solitary fish.

5. Kwig Well Known Member Member

If you want to attempt a community tank with her it would be best to do so with a bigger tank.

6. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Ember tetras may work but have a back up plan just in case.

7. TrainerRuby Member Member

What about a planted tank with boccapo ghost shrimp and a ruby nerite snail?

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

That would probably be the safest option but again, just keep an eye out since the betta could decide she doesn't like the shrimp and snail either.

9. TrainerRuby Member Member

I'll make sure to make lots of hiding places only the shrimp can get to and only add a couple at a time. The snail can join my others if the betta doesn't like him

10. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Sounds perfect. The betta probably would go after the snail, then ignore it because she can't do anything to it, but be careful with the shrimp, I would go for amanos instead. They eat algae, females get around 2", and are very cool-looking.

11. TrainerRuby Member Member

Should I do 5 or 10 shrimp? The type of shrimp depends on how fast my lfs can get them in.

12. Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

I have African dwarf frogs with my beta. As long as the tank is big enough, which a 10g is, they will be fine together. The frogs are so fun!

13. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

ADF's do best in a species only tank. They have poor eyesight, and the betta will out compete them for food. I think the OP's best bet is the snails and shrimp.

14. Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

My froggies do just fine so long as I use a frozen brine or bloodworm. The beta has learned to top feed and leave the frogs to what sinks....they are all fat and happy! If I feel the beta is pigging out I just remove him for 15 mins or so to give the frogs a head start.

But I agree that ADF's do not mix with large fish stock due to their slower eating habits. I'd never but one in my other tanks.