10g Denizens

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Right now my relatively new 10g tank (cycled for two weeks) has a dwarf gourami and 3 platties in it. I'm wondering if, barring mishaps (praying and crossing fingers) there are any other fish I could nicely add to round things up.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I do not know about whether you have thought of it but do you think you would like a small school of tetras? It would probably take up all your space. There are even some types of tetras who are not the schooling type according to the book I was looking into (Eyewitness Handbooks Aquarium Fish by Dick Mills)

Pretty Tetra
Rummy-Nose Tetra
Bleeding Heart Tetra
Serpae Tetra
Emperor Tetra
Cardinal Tetra

Or have you thought of some Cories? Or the better choice (because they are not schooling) are Otocinclus affinis.
(Otos, of course ;D) They are the smallest of the catfish that I could find for bottom level dwellers.

The platys occupy all levels and the gourami will occupy mostly the middle and upper level due to having to breathe at the surface. (Labyrinth fish)

If you check out the tetras, they also occupy all levels of the tank. Although the ones I have seen have mostly been at the middle of the tank.

Someone else may have differing information so this is only one suggestion.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you Rose. Hm...a school of smaller tetras might be fun. I'm wondering if I could get at least a couple of catfish and something else. I'd like to have corydoras again...

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No, I don't yet because now I'm considering maybe getting a female. The pictures I see online didn't look so hot but then I saw some in the flesh and was surprised at how pretty they actually are. They are not as splendid as the males but I will give it further thought.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Poefox did you use a cycling agent to cycle your tank? 2 weeks is an awfully shortime to cycle if not. maybe wait a bit before adding more fish.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think they do look a little like Platys when they are very young. I believe that Isabella even thought Misty's first pictures were of a Platy. They do take on more personality as well as their brothers do. It is the personality that they show that makes them take on the beauty of a Betta in all its true glory. I see Misty truly becoming a bit more of a true little Betta every day as I see her change, and she has a sweet disposition that sometimes is lacking in her "big brothers". They do demand a bit more attention and I really do wish I could keep her as is recommended in a group of 3. They say there needs to be a primary female to direct the lives of the others for them to do really well. They appear to be much more dependent than the males.

I have posted some new Misty photos in the Betta section in case you are interested. She isn't fully grown yet but compared to her brand new baby pictures, she is much bigger. Some of the new ones are actually a little more than lifesized. The first one is actually just about exactly her size.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I did use a cycling agent to set it up, Carol. The thing is I was actually told a week was fine but I waited two before I was satisfied. Anyway, I'm waiting another two weeks before I do anything else with my tank. This is just planning, but I appreciate your concern.

BTW: for those who know about my other little tank, I have to admit that I threw most of it away. I decided to just get rid of the gravel and stones because it occured to me that they're porous and therefore they might have traces of stuff or even of the small amount of bleach I used still in them. The tank itself I've kept, but I'm buying new stuff for it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good idea. I had heard that gravel and stones cannot be bleached but have to be baked. I have always just tossed mine and bought new as I was too afraid to take chances.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom