10g basic lighting upgrade?

1. C

Ctammy2 Valued Member Member

First off, what is the correct terminology for this type of lighting? :) ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407295139.351459.jpg

Second... What are my choices in lighting upgrades? Or should I? I mostly want to show off the fish to best advantage, I want the tank to "look" bright and catch your attention, and I would like to try a few easy plants. Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I can't tell if those are fluorescent bulbs or not. If they are, you can simply replace them with CFL bulbs that are 6500 kelvins and plant your tank with low to mid light plants.

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    C

I don't think they are florescent... How do I tell?

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    C

Here is a picture with the lights off. Does this help? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407378087.909036.jpg

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

That is not a CFL bulb. This is a CFL bulb

6. OP
    OP
    C

So what are my bulbs? Just an incandescent? What can I replace them with, or should I just leave them as is? Thx :)

7. junebug

I don't know what they are, you can probably check them though. Most bulbs say on the glass what type they are.

Incandescents won't grow plants, so you'll need to upgrade to daylight spectrum CFLs if you want to keep that fixture.

8. AquaticBrandon

Yes I believe they are incandescent bulbs. If you are trying to have that bright white look in your tank or to grow a few low light plants. You can get some CFL bulbs of a rating of 6500k. These bulbs are great and you can find them at Walmart or Home Depot

9. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFish Valued Member Member

Lol get a 4 fluorescent 215 watt reef light lol. That's what I use but I'm thinking about dropping it down to 2 lights because I only have one plant in the tank right now

10. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

yes, i think they are incandescent. Thats what my light is on my 10 gallon tank and it looks exactly like yours does. What type of plants do you have in it? These lights work perfectly to grow floating water wisteria for me considering mine are 25 watts and there are two of them. :)

11. junebug

Your plants are probably using indirect sunlight if they are growing at all. Plants need light in a specific heat range in order to use it. That's why Kelvin values are important. Anything under 5500K won't grow plants, the one exception being Java moss, which seems to grow just fine in the dark. ;)

12. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

hmmm im not to sure about this because I have wisteria in my 20 gallon, also, which is not growing nearly as good as the wisteria in my 10 gallon. They are both located right next to each other so I don't know what else other than the tanks lighting could be causing the wisteria in the 10 to grow so much better. :)

13. AquaticBrandon

The 20 gallon is deeper than the 10 gallon so the light dosen't reflect at the bottom as good as in the 10 gallon. Maybe that's why your wisteria is growing better in the 10 gallon than the 20 gallon

14. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks for your replies. I will pick up some fluorescent bulbs next chance I get. I already picked up a blue 9" strip of led lights for a little moonlight diy project. :)

15. AquaticBrandon

That's cool. I wanted to do a diy light myself with LEDs. Where did you order your LEDs from?

16. TheCoolFish

That's an expensive route to go and the don't grow plants well BUT it helps reduce algae.

Cheese is good but cichlids are cooler!

17. junebug

Leds grow plants just as well as fluorescent. Provided you have a light in the correct spectrum and size for your tank.

18. TheCoolFish

Which than brings the cost of it

19. OP
    OP
    C

I just picked up a 9" strip of LED's from my local Princess Auto. (Farm, auto, diy hardware store). The strip costed $10. It is 12 volt utility lighting usually used for marker lights on trailers ect. My husband is going to wire it to an acdc adapter. I'm just going to attach it to the bottom of my existing hood. Hoping it works! :)

20. TheCoolFish

That's good DIY lights are usually better and cheaper for the most part

Advertisement