100L/30 gallon tank stocking

Lilthuglet

After a certain amount of drama and a decision to never, ever, ever ask a question on Facebook again I have bought two new 100L tanks I couldn't really afford.

Having done so I might as well use them well. I have heaters and filters for the larger tanks sorted out as well as a rack.

I will be upgrading my 5 platy fish plus two nerite snails to one and my 6 corydora plus two nerite snails to the other. Both will be planted tanks.

So my questions are...
  • how many platy fish would be comfortable in a 100L tank with a couple of snails and maybe a couple of amano shrimp?
  • how many corydoras pygmaeus would be comfortable in a 100L tank with a couple of snails and maybe a couple of amano shrimp?
  • Are the shrimp a good idea with these two types of fish?
  • annnd finally... any tips for speeding up the cycling of the new tanks?
I am going to be adding a couple of the rocks from the established tanks to the new ones along with a bit of the exitsting play sand substrate sprinkled on the new and the smaller of the two sponges in the canister filters. I'm planning to keep the temps a bit higher than they will be with the fish in at 26*c/78.8*f and will be using Dr Timms to start it all off. I have some filter boost if it is any good as well.

Soham

I think they should do fine in a 100l tank......i mean i had a colony of 15+platies in my dense planted aquarium
corydoras should also do fine as they are bottom dwellers
for speeding up cycling do frequent water changes and add a cycled sponge from another auarium.....it will help in creating a good bacteria colony
Wishing u luck

Mazeus

Ah you asked an innocent question on the internet and got a telling off? Been there! So if your tank is platies and corries, your platy numbers will grow and grow (assuming you choose to have males and females) so you could start with a smaller number like 4-6 and keep and raise up fry. You could also go for all males (if you get females they will come pregnant) and have 10-12 (I'm being conservative you might feel comfortable with more, but I personally like to start small and build numbers as I get more confident). Same with corries, somewhere around 8-12. I haven't kept platies since the late 90s early 00s, so I am far from an expert though!

JettsPapa

Regarding cycling the new tanks, adding sand, plants, etc from the established tank will help some, but the best is filter media from that tank. If you do that you can move the fish immediately instead of going through the fishless cycling process.

Lilthuglet

JettsPapa said:
Regarding cycling the new tanks, adding sand, plants, etc from the established tank will help some, but the best is filter media from that tank. If you do that you can move the fish immediately instead of going through the fishless cycling process.
Thanks :). Would moving the cannister filters from the 30l tanks to the new 100l be enough along with their new filters and all the plants and hardscape? I was concerned it would be too much new water for the bacteria and wouldn't stay cycled.

JettsPapa

Lilthuglet said:
Thanks :). Would moving the cannister filters from the 30l tanks to the new 100l be enough along with their new filters and all the plants and hardscape? I was concerned it would be too much new water for the bacteria and wouldn't stay cycled.
It should be fine. There's very little of the bacteria in the water.

Lilthuglet

Can anyone recommend any resources for plant types to try to make a native planted biome for the Central American/Mexican platy or the Brazilian Corydoras?

Top Bottom