1000 ways to die...but still alive

MsFancyFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First...I must sincerely apologize for the bore that this particular topic has possibly become for some of you being that the majority of my postings have been just this... Anchorworm. Even writing it is like just Ugh. But here is the thing ... the reason that I’m bringing up the subject of these horrid blood suckers again is in the hopes that someone, anyone, might be able “to tell me just how you get rid of them once and for all. I’m not even talking about off of my fish but I mean off of the face of the planet. Look, we have tried a ridiculous number of things to kill them and so far they live... they can live through straight food grade hydrogen peroxide, below freezing temperatures, past boiling point temperatures, bleach, high salinity, air, being without a host for more than 2 weeks... they won’t die! We are trying to sterilize our 55 gallon tank so our goldfish can go back to their home but we keep finding them. Have we found some kind of immortal creature here or is it plain Anchorworm? Should I call someone at “science” or can someone here explain this? I’m just beside myself though... HELP?!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My two cents :

First are they definitely anchorworms?
Whitish worms with eggsacks on the end of there body. I remember your earlier thread and that made me think of leeches instead.

Several parasital worms "survive" as eggs which can indeed survive using chemicals, temps, etc etc.. for an extreme long time. In substrate and some in an host like fish or snails.

So it could be these only can be killed in a certain stage of their life being vunerable for treatment. That could mean that's only when they are attached to a fish for instance.

I don't say that's the case here but could explain them surviving constantly.

Prazipro or other dewormers should do the job at that moment (before they lay new eggs again).

OP
MsFancyFish

MsFancyFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
My two cents :

First are they definitely anchorworms?
Whitish worms with eggsacks on the end of there body. I remember your earlier thread and that made me think of leeches instead.

Several parasital worms "survive" as eggs which can indeed survive using chemicals, temps, etc etc.. for an extreme long time. In substrate and some in an host like fish or snails.

So it could be these only can be killed in a certain stage of their life being vunerable for treatment. That could mean that's only when they are attached to a fish for instance.

I don't say that's the case here but could explain them surviving constantly.

Prazipro or other dewormers should do the job at that moment (before they lay new eggs again).
Oh geez... I hope not leeches. I’m pretty certain they are anchorwormd they just gave sooo many different life stages and look different ways it’s in merging. Am I right that in one of these stages they resemble little hairs? Like a dog hair or tiny fabric thread?

MsFancyFish said:
Oh geez... I hope not leeches. I’m pretty certain they are anchorwormd they just gave sooo many different life stages and look different ways it’s in merging. Am I right that in one of these stages they resemble little hairs? Like a dog hair or tiny fabric thread?
I meant un nerving not merging

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MsFancyFish said:
Nematods / flukes ?

New Threads