1000 Gallon Aquarium Stocking

1. m

matija Valued Member Member

I scrapped idea of 132 and 500 gallon tank because i will soon move to a house and second father dont want a glass aquariums of this size to be in house because of possibility of them breaking but when i said to him that we can build tank/pond of 1000 gallons like uaru joey 2000 gallon he said yes.
    My problem is that i dont know really what to stock in it .
    Can someone tell me some cool ideas for stocking with next species

2. Zigi Zig

Zigi Zig Well Known Member Member

Are you stocking aquarium or pond?

3. OP
    OP
    m

Silver arowana/dollars/shark,large chiclids like jaguar,oscar,jack dempsey itd.,koi,red tail,iredesent shark,black ghost knife,pacu,leporinus fasciatus,and some of native species like northern pike wels catfish ,common carp,sturgeon ,prussian carp ,brown and rainbow trout itd.

It is like king of diy 2000 gallon so i dont really know how to classify it

Just a half smaller

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

How about a Tarpon? They only get 6 or 7 feet long. :) They can also live in all ranges of salinity and are air breathers. :)

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Tarpon are salt to fresh water fish and would need outstanding tank sizes, which is why they are meant for the ocean.
    Plus, you probably cannot buy those as easily as you'd think.
    I advise against this.

6. B

Bruno New Member Member

giraffe cats! my favorite :)

7. OP
    OP
    m

I didnt said specific species because i like them but because i can find them others not soo much

And i dont have that much money for keeping tarpoon

And i forgot i can take senegal bichir and hucho hucho eels

8. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Freshwater stingrays?

9. OP
    OP
    m

Seriosly i can have on of largest species of fish and i want predator tank but (why not bettas)you had one job

10. OP
    OP
    m

I know but this is third time i heard that somebody says take betta

But really help me.i really dont know how to stock that ank

But at least one silver arowana

11. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

You could do a huge fancy goldfish tank!! That would look so cool!! All the different colors and shapes...!!!

12. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

This thread is getting a little off track. OP has stated that he wants a predator tank, so we should be trying to help him come up with a stocking. Not suggesting other stocking options or talking about humor :)

I'm not an expert on large fish, so I can't help you much. But I'd like to follow along and see what others suggest.

13. Smalltownfishfriend

Ah sorry I missed the predator part!!!!!!

14. OP
    OP
    m

It ' s ok but please help me make stocking plan

15. Smalltownfishfriend

Green terrors Oscars knife fish parrot cichlid.. angelfish.. these are all large slightly agressive fish that "might" possibly work!!! I have absolutely no experience with them though!! I was just going off some Google research!! Hey @TexasDomer do you have any stocking suggestions for this tank??!!

16. W

Why me Valued Member Member

bass Oscars gars red tail cats shovel nose cats. I personally would not do pacus cause they like to bite fins. But silvers usually work. If you get a certain subspecies it’ll grow to 10 inch

17. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

Self sustaining anyone? Hundreds of guppies, mollies, sword tails and things like that, thousands of shrimp, let their numbers stabilize, the add 2 arowanas and two fresh water sting rays with lots and lots of plants. Or if you are into schooling fish, 100 tiger barbs, 100 cardinal Tetras, 20 clown loaches, thousands of shrimp, 50 Cory Catfish, 7 plecos(of different species) and five Bala sharks. My only question is what are the dimensions of this particular one you are making, because I used my calculator and is taking up 120 cubic feet.

Or one snail

18. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Oscars are very definitely predators and in an environment like that would get huge and possibly wipe out other fish. People have released them into ponds and streams in Florida and they become a real nuisance because they prey on the native fish.

19. OP
    OP
    m

Im sorry but i think only one arowana would wipe out everything
    in maybe week

20. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

So go with the second one

Or replace the arowanas with 10 puffers