100 Gallon Tank Ideas

1. primobryan

primobryan Valued Member Member

So I finally measured the dimensions for my Tank and its a 100 gallon tank. My ideal Tank was to upgrade my Angelfish in my 40 gallon breeder to a 100 gallon planted hi-tech aquarium you know with ADA aquasoil pressurized Co2 and Quad T5 Fixture and so on....... but it's too expensive to start up it would take me months until I can set that up on a part time shift but my brother gave me an idea, he suggested me to set up a Cichlid tank since I have most materials for a fish only tank. While he was thinking Southern American I was thinking African only problem is Ph as far as I know African cichlids strive in higher Ph levels, my Tap water is at 6.7ish and my LFS is at 7.0 I don't trust ph adjusters and I know I could naturally raise it with limestone rocks but this tank would only be a temporary set up so I'm not trying to spend too much I could go with 2 Oscar's if I go a Southern Cichlid tank, since my tank is a 100 gallon 60" x 16" x 24" there should be more than exceptional room for 2 Oscar's and no more. Or I could buy a couple pounds of 6-8 African cichlids

I have four established(cycled media) freshwater tanks that sit at around 6.8 to 7.3ph levels that can jump start the cycle on the 100 gallon and when I meant a temporary tank I meant at least 6 months up and running with cycled media from day 1 but I wouldn't throw fish in until the second week including weekends. My only problem of a temporary tank is what will I do with my fish I know I could sell them or give them for store credit at my LFS. Help should I follow through on this temporary tank yes or no

2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

probably not what you want to hear, but id wait, especially if you're trying to save money.
    On the other hand, you could go with a big tank of live bearers temporarily and sell back more than you bought for store credit.