100 gallon long build/stocking

Spritzy

Hey, all! I purchased a Planet Aquarium 100 gallon long to start a freshwater community tank a year and a half ago. You guys gave me SO much good info. It’s taken a year and a half to finally get it up and running (had a lengthy move in between and didn’t want to start it until we settled). I started the initial set up and ran the nitrogen cycle a few months ago. For our first stock, I got 6 Diamond tetras, two syn. lace cats, and a giant fat mystery snail affectionately referred to as “PB” by my three year old. Got a light to medium planting going on. I’ve been waiting for the initial bio load to catch up, and we’re finally to the nitrate stage! So now I’m trying to do some research on our next school to add.

I definitely want hardy, peaceful, colorful fish for my kiddos to watch, and I’d love to go with south Asian fish like rasaboras if possible. In fact I’m thinking of adding a school of harlequin rasaboras next. I’d LOVE to add a moonlight Gourami eventually, but I keep reading conflicting info about the smaller species. They’re peaceful, they’re not peaceful. Then I recently came upon sparkling and croaking gourami. (The chocolates sound like much harder keepers.) Does anyone have any advice or experience they mind sharing as far as finishing stocking our community tank?

One catfish is typically reclusive. The other cat is extremely personable come feeding time and even comes out to beg and play around my hands when I do plantings or vacuums. I’m concerned the bottom column may be plenty stocked with just these two once they reach full size. Eventually I’ll be starting another 100+ gallon in my room, but that could be a while. They’re about 3” at this time.

Tank deets updated in my profile, but I’m happy to share them here. I really appreciate all thoughtful criticism and advice!

SouthAmericanCichlids

I have heard moonlight gouramis will eat plants, though my thought is, with enough floating plants, they'll eat those and leave the others alone. I wouldn't so sparkling gourami or croaking gourami because in a tank that big, they'd be like tetras, I'd also avoid honeys. Another option would be pearl gourami, they are aggressive, though they definitely have been kept with tetras, so should be safe. My suggestion for a tetra would be rummynose, a giant school of those would look gorgeous.

ProudPapa

. . . Another option would be pearl gourami, they are aggressive, though they definitely have been kept with tetras, so should be safe. My suggestion for a tetra would be rummynose, a giant school of those would look gorgeous.

That hasn't been my experience.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi and welcome to fishlore.

I definitely want hardy, peaceful, colorful fish for my kiddos to watch, and I’d love to go with south Asian fish like rasaboras if possible. In fact I’m thinking of adding a school of harlequin rasaboras next. I’d LOVE to add a moonlight Gourami eventually, but I keep reading conflicting info about the smaller species. They’re peaceful, they’re not peaceful. Then I recently came upon sparkling and croaking gourami. (The chocolates sound like much harder keepers.) Does anyone have any advice or experience they mind sharing as far as finishing stocking our community tank?
Moonlights are wonderful, they have a very similar temperament to Pearls. Semi aggressive is a good description and this goes for a lot of Gourami. Keep them in a nice sized group and you should have few issues keeping them. I recommend 6 plus with females outnumbering males. I will say good luck distinguishing them at a young age, I feel like it is likely impossible.
I have heard moonlight gouramis will eat plants, though my thought is, with enough floating plants, they'll eat those and leave the others alone.
They definitely like to munch on some plants, though it was never a real issue, in a well planted aquarium, they won't make a noticeable dent.

Spritzy

Hello,

Since it sounds like you're interested in gouramis have you considered pearl gouramis? In my opinion they're the most attractive of all the gouramis, and you have room fora big group (I'm the guy who has 14 of them in a 40 gallon breeder tank; see School of Pearl Gouramis? | Aquarium Stocking Forum | 479129 ).
I love your tank!! Pearls were definitely on my original list beside the Moonlights. Both SO gorgeous. Do you mind sharing what all plants you have/had in your breeder tank? I definitely want to add some more plants. I spent an hour decorating some of my caves with buce pieces tonight. I had no idea the planting would become as addicting as the fish. Do your Pearls ever grief your tetras?
My suggestion for a tetra would be rummynose, a giant school of those would look gorgeous.
Thank you for the suggestion!! I’ve seen them before but didn’t think about it. What gorgeous little cuties. What are your thoughts on my current Diamond school, a harlequin rasabora school, and a rummy nose school? Is that too many middle column fish for one tank?
Moonlights are wonderful, they have a very similar temperament to Pearls. Semi aggressive is a good description and this goes for a lot of Gourami. Keep them in a nice sized group and you should have few issues keeping them. I recommend 6 plus with females outnumbering males. I will say good luck distinguishing them at a young age, I feel like it is likely impossible.
I’m thrilled for the good news about Moonlights! I don’t mind adding extra plants for them to munch and hide in. I’d LOVE to add some floating plants. I’m only familiar with frogbit; do you happen to have any other easy keeper suggestions for floating plants or extra plants in general?

AP1

Water lettuce is another great floating plant, though you will likely need to frequently scoop it out-- it is fast-growing!

ProudPapa

I love your tank!! Pearls were definitely on my original list beside the Moonlights. Both SO gorgeous. Do you mind sharing what all plants you have/had in your breeder tank? I definitely want to add some more plants. I spent an hour decorating some of my caves with buce pieces tonight. I had no idea the planting would become as addicting as the fish. Do your Pearls ever grief your tetras?

I have crypts, swords, water wisteria, and a big clump of pearl weed planted in the substrate, with water sprite and more pearl weed floating.

I haven't noticed any interaction, in either direction, between the pearl gouramis and the tetras.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I don't think that would be too many for a 100g long at all. You could probably have a total of about 60 of the 3 in there.

jinjerJOSH22

I’m thrilled for the good news about Moonlights! I don’t mind adding extra plants for them to munch and hide in. I’d LOVE to add some floating plants. I’m only familiar with frogbit; do you happen to have any other easy keeper suggestions for floating plants or extra plants in general?
Frogbit is one of my favourites though be prepared to have short root systems. My Moonlights and Three Spots rather enjoyed nibbling at them.
Water lettuce is another great floating plant, though you will likely need to frequently scoop it out-- it is fast-growing!
Also a good one but keeping on top of it is a must. It grows very fast and can cut access to the surface causing some serious issues.
I don't think that would be too many for a 100g long at all. You could probably have a total of about 60 of the 3 in there.
While this is a option, I would give as much free space to the Gourami as possible.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Frogbit is one of my favourites though be prepared to have short root systems. My Moonlights and Three Spots rather enjoyed nibbling at them.

Also a good one but keeping on top of it is a must. It grows very fast and can cut access to the surface causing some serious issues.

While this is a option, I would give as much free space to the Gourami as possible.
I would definitely opt for your advice, as I have never kept this type of gourami.

Spritzy

Do you happen to keep any snails in with your moonlights? Are they snail nibblers as well?

I really appreciate everyone’s advice! I’ve spent a couple hours researching plants again today. You guys are always the best. Thanks for the help!

jinjerJOSH22

Do you happen to keep any snails in with your moonlights? Are they snail nibblers as well?
At least I haven't intentionally and I never noticed this kind of behaviour. They aren't likely to hunt them at least, so in a large aquarium I doubt there would be issues.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
LadyS
Replies
Views
LilBlub
Replies
Views