100 gallon Goldfish/comets only tank.

1. Garry Initiate Member

27 comets. (I know that's a lot of fish but their all happy)
    Water clarity great and balanced.
    Lost 2 fish to a Whitefaces Heron while in an ornamental pond, so decided to keep them in my garage in a tank, with warmer water (22 deg c)

Fish constantly play, some have even formed a group that swim together.
    Largest fish is around 28cm (nose to "v" of tail)
    Smallest is about 4cm.
    Over 50% are from the same family.

All very healthy and carefree. Just like their keeper. :)
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406748870.620187.jpg

One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...

2. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I don't mean to sound rude but you have way too many fish in that tank. If you want goldfish I would go with fancies because you could fit 5-6 in there easily instead of having all your comets get stunted. Comets get up to 12 inches long and sometimes bigger!

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I'm also not trying to be rude, but 27 comets in a 100 gallon is just not going to work, in my opinion.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Lovely fish but I have to agree with what's been said, there are too many & they really need to be in a pond to be able to grow properly.

5. TJBender Well Known Member Member

I'm very sorry to introduce a care to the equation, but I agree with guppybreeder and Adam. A 100g tank is, imo, inappropriate for comets in the first place because of their high activity level, but 27 comets could potentially turn into a diseased, stunted mess of a tank in no time.

Have you considered moving them back out to the pond and putting some sort of netting over it to keep the wildlife away? That would be a much healthier living environment for them. Goldfish are not picky about water temperature.

6. Garry Initiate Member

I agree with you all...
    The tanks been running for over six months, water parameters are fine. Fish are very healthy. Never done a water change, and have had eggs in the tank at one stage.
    I've overcrowded it to show my friends how we'll a sump filter action system works, especially in this design, which is completely different to those you find everywhere else, hoping to market something one day.
    My point being that comets are extremely dirty fish, with their activity, eating habits, waste... and some cases destruction.
    And if my filter system handle these fish, it'll handle pretty much most. (Moving to a 2400L tank build later in the year)
    Once winter is over, the larger ones are going back into the pond, which Im going to raise above ground and put on castors then under our pergola, to sort out the heron problem.
    The smallest ones are going in my other 100G tank.
    The medium ones, 8cm -10cm will stay in this tank... There will be a total of 8.

It is great to see such concern over the common goldfish...
    A fish, which for the uneducated is considered a pest, a carnival joke, not a "real fish"

7. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Lots of Goldfish lovers here ;) I think they're really cool fish myself, though I don't have any.

8. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Looks like you have a couple of Shubunkins also. They are beautiful. I'm glad you plan on improving their housing soon.

In the ornamental pond - what type of floating plants are there? Do you have any cave type structures for the fish to hide in? What is the edge of the pond like - does it start shallow then go deeper, or does it drop off deep right at the edge? How big is the pond (gallons as well as distance across from one side to the other)?

I ask, because sometimes, by changing how accessible the fish are, you can "encourage" the predators to find easier prey elsewhere.

9. Garry Initiate Member

My pond had no floating plants, other than water lilies... A little watercress, but that soon disappears with their appetites...
    The sides of my pond were almost 45 degrees, I had some marsh type grasses, very light growing around the edges, nothing too strong as to support a bird, also hard for a heron to wade through/down, no caves but I did have a lot of driftwood, with twisting branches for the fish to hide amongst about 60cm under the water, pond depth is a metre, gallons not sure on the conversion but holds 3500 litres. 2.8m long and 1.7 wide (ish)
    I ran a 4000L an hr pump, through a uv light, into filtration then into a holding tank with 1000L of pumice as biomedia as well as I aerated the biomedia too.
    Been keeping comets and shubunkins for around 19 years now and still they keep my attention.

Funny, as I used to dislike shubunkins, now I love them.

Moving onto a 2400L saltwater tank next, then a koi pond...

10. Garry Initiate Member

Just noticed my title is missing a 0 for 1000 not 100.

11. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

Wait...so your Comets are in a 1000 Gallon tank within your house? Holy cow that is a huge tank to keep inside a house lol.

12. lala29 Well Known Member Member

doesn't look like 1000gallons :O that's pretty big... It would be like a room!

And they have said 1000 a few times in comments :p

13. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

id the 1000 gallons mean the tank is more wide than long? or is it from the filtration or something? the tank seems small but ive seen some crazy tanks before it wouldnt suprize me much.

14. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

yeah I see 1000 L but that is quite a bit different than 1000 Gallons :p

15. lala29 Well Known Member Member

agreed :p about 3700l different i think