100 gallon community stocking

1. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I have a 100 gal long tank. It has a sump filter. I want it to be a community tank but it must have guppies and 1-2 BN plecos. Will have black sand,live plants, and driftwood. Thanks in advance!

2. Adoinc Initiate Member

Well, what fish do you like? There are many different options, such as tetras and corydoras. However, they cannot exceed 6" and even then that's pushing it... Unless they have freakishly sized mouths though you should be safe. I would recommend Glass Cats. They are 3.5" MAX, have a peaceful disposition, are cool-looking, and wouldn't eat you guppies. The only drawback is they are very shy, and sensitive to water conditions, so they should be one of your last fish so the tank is stable. I would recommend a school of 8 as they do not add much bio-load to the tank and don't feel safe at all in low numbers. They are also not avid or aggressive eaters so you have to make sure your tank mates with them aren't aggressive eaters either.

Good luck! - Tristan

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks! I want it to be colorful because it is going in my living room, I have heard of Dwarf gourami and guppies in with each other and would like one as the center piece. I can keep my guppies in their current tanks if it gives me a wider variety of fish.

4. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I have 7 male guppies, all with large fancy tails, and my male DG doesn't bother them, and they don't bother him...

I really wouldn't say my DG was my center piece fish, either.
    He's so little, and in my 75, with 7 guppies, a ranchu, a silver dollar, and 2 snails... He's actually the least looked at... By visitors at least.

5. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks @ blusshed! Any other suggestions? I also like angels and know they cant be with guppies, so if I do angels what other fish? I have a list of some fish I like. Guppies,angels,DG, killifish, discus, chiclids, mollies, loach, freshwater goby, white cloud mountain minnows, danios and a few others. I also want some inverts if possible.

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I also like endlers, glass cats, glass fish, platys, sword tail, and freshwater puffer. I also want some RCS or bamboo shrimp.

7. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Anybody have suggestions? I know this is a little off topic but what plants should I get, preferably low-light.

8. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I finally got it set up! just need to cycle it and add fish!