100 gal aquarium build.

1. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

My dad recently gave me his 100 gal tank that he custom built himself:) It has a sump filter because this used to be a saltwater tank. It has been a long process getting this hosed down, leak tested, and aqua scaped. Currently It has 2 BN plecos and 4 mollies. The temp is usually at 77F with a slight difference from time to time. The substrate is floramax.My goal is for this to become planted but my wallet does not agree with me at the moment:) I was wondering what fish I can add once cycled. I want bottom middle and top dwellers so the tank has activity. Any suggestions,comments, and concerns are welcome
    Thank you!

2. atc84 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a very big project! What kind of look are you going for?

having a 100 gal gives you many more options for stocking. You could have 6 angels, a school of cories and some other medium sized fish so that angelfish won't be aggressive towards. Just an idea.

Whats your lighting setup?

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

4. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Here come the pictures!
    [​IMG]The new tank!

[​IMG]My custom sump:)

[​IMG]Random snail (I don't mind him:))

[​IMG]custom lid!

[​IMG]bernie

[​IMG]henry

5. dakota Member Member

Planted tanks are beatiful especially with several different varieties of small schooling fish. Some of my favorites are the Neons, Rummy Nose tetras, Rasporas, Guppys. I have Angels with all of these and never had a problem. Looks like a real nice set up. I like the sump filters as they sure keep everyting clean. I used to keep my heaters in the sump also works good. Have fun. thanks

6. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks dakota! so if my tank is planted with lots of hiding places, they will be fine?

7. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I got some more pictures of the fish:)
    [​IMG]Hendrik

[​IMG]Teeny

[​IMG]Hallie

[​IMG]Baily in her QT tank:) She hasn't come out of hiding yet. She only comes out at night.

8. dakota Member Member

In all my tanks I always have plenty of hiding places. It pays off in many ways.
    Thanks

9. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Alright, thanks! I have plenty of caves for the fish I just need more plants. The LFS doesn't get there shipment until late tomorrow so there will be updates coming soon:)

10. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

What type of plants should I get? I have Anubias, some variation of sword, and Two others that I forget what they are.

11. Mattfinn Member Member

Crypts get a few maybe balansae, parva, wendtii. A good variety of them will do really well and they are easy to keep.

Feeling fishy

12. Mattfinn Member Member

Crypts get a few maybe balansae, parva, wendtii. A good variety of them will do really well and they are easy to keep.
    Bunches of chain sword would look nice as a carpet

Feeling fishy

Feeling fishy

13. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks! Any suggestions on fish? I am definitely going to have angels.

14. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Don't give up on the planted tank just yet. Check out www.peabodysparadise.com and look at their plant bundles. I recommend this site to everyone because the plants are so nice, the prices are just as nice, and the owner is a member of this site.

15. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not giving up on the planted tank. I'm just excited! I have been wanting a large community for a while now and it is finally happening!

16. guthrieb08 Member Member

Anibus and crypts are some of my favorite.

17. krazyone2006 Well Known Member Member

I have always liked aquatic lily plants how they shoot the leaves up to the waters surface, pennywort is nice so are corckscrew vals as a background or corner cover plant all are easy to grow and don't need a lot of light or ferts.

18. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks! So many choices!

19. guthrieb08 Member Member

Do you want floating plants as well?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Hmm I never thought of that. That would look really cool and the top is glass!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum