100% free plant RAOK

Dolfan

With the Holidays quickly upon us I figured it was time to do another 100%, totally free RAOK (Random Act Of Kindness,for the abbreviation impaired)for some easy to grow live plants. I will pay shipping, so there is no out of pocket expense for the winner. The contest will run from now until New Years Day (1/1/15)

The RAOK will include a variety of my plants. All of these plants are easy low light plants that ANYONE can grow. No special needs, just plant/float them and let nature take it's course. I can provide info on growing any of the plants, so this is a great opportunity for someone wanting to get started with plants for FREE. All of these plants will grow easily and you will have the planted tank bug before you know it. The plant package will include a sampling of.....
Ludwigia repens
Frogbit
Water Wisteria
Rotala

and depending on availability perhaps some of the following....
Ludwigia red - deep red almost crimson color
hornwort
bacopa
java fern

The standard Fishlore RAOK rules apply, 50 post minimum, etc. Since the contest is running until New Years Day you have plenty of time to be more active on the forum and get your post count to 50. Since I am paying for shipping and don't want to deal with customs this will be limited to people in the continental U.S., sorry to our friends elsewhere.

To win all you have to do is post a reply to this thread with ANY positive experience you have had with fishkeeping or aquariums. This can be a quick 2-3 sentence explanation of someone you met at the pet store or a detailed "How aquariums have changed my life" novel. No rules other than you have to share it and it has to be positive.

IMPORTANT - At the end of your post please copy and paste the list from previous person, so we can have a numbered list of all the entrants. At the end of the contest I will use a random number generator (random.org) to decide the winner. I will then need that person to PM with their name and mailing address. I will post here in the thread who the winner is as well as send a PM on 1/1/15 and need the winner to respond by Sun. 1/4/15. If I haven't heard from the winner then I will redraw a new winner.

For anyone that doesn't win or is interested in more, check out my sales thread where I sell the above plants and more like Indian Almond leaves, cholla wood, etc....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/aquarium-plants-for-sale.174403/

I will post a reply below as an example and I will redraw a winner if I happen to win with the number 1 spot. Thanks all for participating, be sure to pass the word to any friends here on fishlore. The more the merrier and hopefully we should get some great positive stories to help spread some holiday cheer.

Dolfan

My positive story has to do with the Fishlore forums. Recently I entered and won the Aquarium photo contest. I entered a photo of my planted jungle, which by aqua-scaping standards is a messy explosion of plants in no particular placement or order. TakashI Amano would definitely be shaking his head, haha. And thanks to Mike and the other mods here on fishlore, I received a $10 promo code to Dr. Fosters & Smith website. Nothing like winning free stuff, so I ordered few odds and ends that I needed and saved $10. Thanks to fishlore and all the folks that voted for my photo.

Public Service Announcement - Check out the monthly photo contests as there is one category for aquarium and one for fish, so you have 2 chances to win. Even if you don't enter, please remember to vote, as it's cool to see more participation and you may be inspired by some cool tanks and fish. Click the Gallery tab at the top of the home page to see the contests and other great photos.

1. Dolfan

VWTDI02

With Christmas right around the corner, one of the biggest positives about being in this hobby is that it's much easier to decide what I want to get myself or get from others because there's always something else. haha. But on a more serious note the best experience that I've had has been with my red cherry shrimp tank. I started this tank about 8 months ago with 30 shrimp that I got locally for only $20 (amazing deal) and I'm now at the point where I'm well over 100 in my ten gallon and frankly there's no way to count them all. It's been simply incredible walking by the tank and randomly seeing the new shrimp that are about 1/8" long just hanging out on the glass. Unfortunately I have had a lot of losses in regards to shrimp. When I first moved the tank back home after about 4 months, I wasn't sure the best way to take care of the shrimp on the trip. I left about an inch of water in the tank with about half of the shrimp in there. The other half of the shrimp was put in a bag. I'm not sure why or what I did wrong but all the ones in the bag died. Last week I actually decided to thin out the herd a bit and sold some to a LFS along with some trimmings (dwarf sag, bacopa, diandra, and duckweed) and a $25 gift certificate. Even after removing those 25 and then another 25 or so to put in another tank, I still can't notice a difference in the number in my tank. When I feed, I still have a layer of red across the substrate that's all cherry shrimp. It's been simply amazing to see them swim around and it's incredible how they reproduce so quickly.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02

Lilibeth_Seasong

You said a novel was acceptable, so here is my novel. A brief(ish) history of my fishkeeping.

Fishkeeping has taught me about a variety of topics... Zoology, Botany, Pathology, Parasitology, and more. But the most important lessons things I have learned are responsibility and the knowledge that I can learn anything if I apply myself. This is coming from the girl who kept goldfish in bowls only a few short years ago. What got me into the hobby? A mistake. I washed out the one gallon home of a guppy and Glofish with soap, and freaked out because my guppy started gasping at the surface. I rushed to Google and eventually found out what I had done wrong. It was too late for my poor guppy, but that mistake helped me to see how little I really knew. I got books from the library and did more Googling. I upgraded from a bowl to a five gallon tank that was given to me on my birthday. It was sadly overstocked, which I only came to realize later. I changed water constantly, and one fish manged to survive for a whopping six months. When all of those fish died off, I decided to put the tank up and start again when I was better prepared. This was July/August of 2012, the year I really began my fishkeeping journey. My mother gave me a full science credit because I spent so much researching fish.

In November I set everything up again and bought an API Master Test Kit before bringing home Blufee, a Walmart betta rescue. Everything was going well, so I began to wish for a larger tank. I saved up my money, and with some help from my parents, was able to purchase a brand new 55 gallon Aqueon tank for my birthday in February. I did a fish in cycle with Tetra Safe Start and some minnows because I was antsy to get some fish in the tank. They lived through it, so I got some platies. Not long after, all the fish died to (at the time) unknown causes. I let the tank sit for some time, and afterwards did a fishless cycle. During that time some nasty cyanobacteria cropped up. A few months later I got some zebra danios.

In September of that year (2013), I decided to break the tank down and switch out the white sand for black. I sterilized everything and was able to completely do away with the cyano after trying blackouts with no success. The zebras went back in, and I received a box of life plants for free from a former member here. In November/December I added some Mystery snails and a baby angel, both from members here, some cherry barbs (from my LPS), and some endlers from some other friends. I received more plants from another friend, which really helped fill my tank out.

This year I had a few additions and losses. My betta passed early this year, and I gave his tank to my younger sister. She got a red betta named Mushu, and went with a pirate theme for the decor. I got two baby BN plecos from a forum member and some SAEs from my LPS. I have one of the BNs still, but none of the SAEs. Around September I decided to move my 55 gallon from the livingroom to my bedroom. That was quite an ordeal and took awhile to get everything back up. But eventually everything was put back together, and my fish got to go back into their tank.

It has been a long journey, but it was worth it. Even when I was sick of lugging buckets around and netting dead fish.
It was worth it because of the joy that comes when I look at my fish, happily swimming around, gorged on bloodworms.
But even more than that, it was worth it because of the things I learned. Because even when all of my fish are gone and the tank is covered with dust, I will have the lessons that I learned for the rest of my life.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong

Dolfan

bumping, surely more then 2 people would like a chance to get some FREE plants. Contest runs until New Years.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong

Chris99

Wow, where to start. As others have said this hobby is amazing for all the different things there are to learn. You can dive in and keep going and going and just barely scratch the surface with what there is to know. It mixes my love for science and animals. Being able to create and maintain an ecosystem is amazing.

As for a random positive experience, I have to share how thankful I am that my local box stores seem to have a knowledgeable and dedicated staff. There are so many bad stories out there that I find it refreshing some of these places seem to be getting it right. And of course how thankful I am for all the wonderful people here on Fishlore.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99

Chunk101

Chris99 said:
Wow, where to start. As others have said this hobby is amazing for all the different things there are to learn. You can dive in and keep going and going and just barely scratch the surface with what there is to know. It mixes my love for science and animals. Being able to create and maintain an ecosystem is amazing.
Yes....I couldn't have said it better.

Fishkeeping has become a positive obsession for me, one that keeps me going.

I think about creating my dream aquarium, lush with many different shapes and sizes of flora, with beautiful twisty driftwood, colored by German blue rams, with corys darting here and there, and pearl gouramis being so elegant. It's a work in progress.

Part of the inspiration for my dream tank can be attributed to Fishlore, where I've learned about and been exposed to the many wonderful and beautiful species of fish.

Thanks Fishlore peeps!

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101

Theman1

Well here is my story.. I started fishkeeping almost 2 years ago and it grew into an obsession. I work about 70-80 hours a week and have two small children. I kind of lost doing anything fun for myself. So I decided to buy a 10 gallon starter kit. I started with a horribly over stocked 10 gallon tank. When fish started to die I went to Google and found fishlore.

I have to say the most positive experience I have had was this site. It turned me into the fish keeper I am today. I am in no way an expert by any means but I can give my fish a nice loving home.

It is a good feeling when I can expand my knowledge to friends and family.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1

Rivieraneo

Fish = Me Happy!

.... The End.

platy21

For me, one of the most rewarding aspects of fish keeping is looking at your tanks and seeing how far they have come since you set them up. The same thing applies to oneself!

Dolfan

Keep the positivity flowing. Remember to copy and paste the list from previous poster, then add your name so it's easy for me to draw the winning number. Contest ends on New Years, so still plenty of time to enter.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21

Flowingfins

One of my positive experiences is discovering new species of fish. when I started this hobby I had never even heard of a celestial pearl danio and now I have 6.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9.guppybreeder

lollipopkiller

the day I found out I was into fish was the day I started the teenage rebellion phase of life.I was out with grandma at a out door market place. they sell food, clothes, and other things. its like a farmers market type place with out door stand. I found a man who was a traveling betta breeder. he decided to settle down and breed bettas in town for 2 years. one month before he started traveling I found my little James. James was a bright blue and red betta veiltail. he looked at me with his little fishy eyes and I knew I had to have him. I snuck back to the stand later that day and picked him up without my mom or grandma knowing. he was my first official fishy friend. from then on I was an independent fish hobbyist and destined to become the breeder that I am today.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9.guppybreeder
10.lollipopkiller

Castiel*

I've had nothing but positive experiences with fish keeping. When I started my own tanks I discovered this website (which has never led me wrong!), and I went to my LFS for some new fish and found out he was an extremely intelligent well informed fish keeper (who has never led me wrong!).

Any time I have a question about anything related to my tanks, this website has been here to help me find out what the problem is and how to fix it! My LFS kept my tank stocked with healthy fish, and had extremely decent prices on livestock. ($4 per African cichlid when you buy 4 or more).

I'm just blessed to have met such nice people and gotten into this amazing lifestyle! (Not just a hobby)

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9.guppybreeder
10.lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104

Amzwiz87

I often come home from work stressed and it instantly relaxes me when I go around feeding all my fish! I especially love hand feeding my ADFs!

One of my betta's 10 gallons is right next to my bed and I often watch him drift around to start my day! His is my first planted tank and I am in need of more plants to stock it with!

This site has been a huge part of me taking proper care of my buddies! ❤

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9.guppybreeder
10.lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87

Wendigoblue

Hi,

FishLore and it's members have helped me grow my fish family and take care of them the best I can! I love my tanks and look forward to the next tank I get!

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1

bobthebadger53

I can't believe how far I've come since joining Fishlore. I started out with a 5 gallon tank with neon tetras, zebra danios, an albino cory and an oto. Let me just say that didn't work out. Fishlore has taught me so much, and has enabled me to keep 3 tanks of healthy fish and plants.

1. Dolfan

2. VWTDI02

3. Lilibeth_Seasong

4. Chris99

5. chunk101

6. Theman1

7. Rivieraneo

8. platy21

9. guppybreeder

10. lollipopkiller

11. MotoDude104

12. Amzwiz87

13. echi1

14. bobthebadger53

xshainax

Hm....My positive fishkeeping story?

Well, I have autism, depression, and I get overwhelmed easily because of my autism and fishkeeping has helped me a lot with it. When I am feeling depressed, all I have to do is look at one of my betta's wiggling happily when they see me and it puts a smile on my face, even if it is for a few minutes. I have told other people with stress in their lives that fish are really relaxing and make good therapy animals even though you can't walk them or pet them.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1
14. bobthebadger53
15. xshainax

jreinhart

My wife and I had been trying to start a family for some time. It didn't go as smoothly as we hoped. Whenever a "not pregnant" result turned up on the test we'd both feel sad. One thing that helped us to power through was sharing our love of fish.

She loves Bettas. Last year for Christmas she got a nice mini-bow (5 gal) to house a new Betta. In our finished basement we have a 29 gallon freshwater community live planted tank. I'd share information from Fishlore with her. She'd talk about her Betta. We'd both look as the newest issues of Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine.

Eventually her Betta passed and she became very sad with everything. Being able to observe the fish, talk about them, and get to know them helped us to stay strong.

As I write this we are just 6 weeks away from the due date for the birth of our first child. As you may guess we are ecstatic and of course a little bit scared. One thing I know is we want to share our love of fish with our child when they grow older. We don't know if we're having a boy or a girl but we do know they'll be showered with love and they'll get to see daddy's fish tank.

Without the help of Fishlore I would not have been able to get back into fishkeeping, to learn all I have, and to have any successes. All of this has ONLY been possible through the kindness and knowledge of wonderful forum members like each of you. You all have my deepest thanks.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1
14. bobthebadger53
15. xshainax
16. jreinhart

nk0525

When I was younger, we moved around a lot. One of the last moves, my dad went out and bought 2 20 gallon tanks. One went in my room, and I got to pick the fish I wanted. I woke up to the fish tank and went to sleep to the fish tank. it helped to start out another new place to have those fish there. My dad and I always would go to the LFS and just wander looking at all the various fish. I loved to see them.

Now I am getting back into aquariums. And we are looking at moving hopefully in a year. But I am so glad to have an aquarium again. Everyone on Fishlore has been extremely helpful.

I work from home, and I sit at a computer all day long. I put the tank in my office so when I am getting frustrated, I can just look over at the tank and watch the fish. Right now I only have danios in there. I am planning on changing my substrate to sand, then I want to finish stocking the tank. I have a couple live plants but would like to do some more.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1
14. bobthebadger53
15. xshainax
16. jreinhart
17. nk0525

Scoutsfish

A positive experience that I have had would be being able to wake up every morning, or come home every day from school and being able to watch all of my fish, swimming around, or seeing their reaction when they see me. I love learning about every detail about all different kinds of fish, and I love that the information never ends. When I first got into fish, one of my favorite things was to go to the lps and carefully pick out which fish I would like, either now, or someday in the future with my parents. My dad almost became a marine biologist when he was younger, and it is fun to be able to share this hobby with him. The people at fishlore have also helped me become the fish keeper I am today. While I don't come on here as much as I used to, due to my busy schedule, I will be forever grateful for the times I have had with everyone here.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1
14. bobthebadger53
15. xshainax
16. jreinhart
17. nk0525
18.Scoutsfish

UnderwaterMeditation

I met Thunder_o_b at my lfs and after an hour conversation on filtration he suggested I look up Fishlore, end of story, beginning of new obsession! Lol and he was there just trying to pick out some new fish with his wife and I decided to ask the loaded question of how to breed guppies. His wife so patient with us while we got lost in fish lala land.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1
14. bobthebadger53
15. xshainax
16. jreinhart
17. nk0525
18.Scoutsfish
19.UnderwaterMeditation

Dolfan

Keep the good positivity coming. Only a couple more days before I select the winner.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1
14. bobthebadger53
15. xshainax
16. jreinhart
17. nk0525
18.Scoutsfish
19.UnderwaterMeditation

oOBlueOo

I've always been around fish, be it minnows or aquarium fish. My grandpa is actually the one who taught me about weekly water changes. He had a barrel that he kept bait minnows in the basement and I remember him telling me that they always need fresh water every week. He'd always let me help if I was around. His minnows lived a long time, the ones that weren't used for bait anyway.

Nowadays, I don't have minnows, but I'm glad gramps taught me about the importance of water changes.

1. Dolfan

2. VWTDI02

3. Lilibeth_Seasong

4. Chris99

5. chunk101

6. Theman1

7. Rivieraneo

8. platy21

9. guppybreeder

10. lollipopkiller

11. MotoDude104

12. Amzwiz87

13. echi1

14. bobthebadger53

15. xshainax

16. jreinhart

17. nk0525

18.Scoutsfish

19.UnderwaterMeditation

20. oOBlueOo

Nick Della Rocca

The most positive thing I've had has been watching the growth of my gbr. I got her m as a baby. He's gotten big bold and bright. He even eats from my fingers!

Dolfan

I will be closing this RAOK out tomorrow and drawing for a winner. Last day to enter.

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1
14. bobthebadger53
15. xshainax
16. jreinhart
17. nk0525
18.Scoutsfish
19.UnderwaterMeditation
20. oOBlueOo
21. Nick Della Rocca

guppy5

I have loved fish since I was young , I have recently bean to pet smart were they gave me 50 % off a ton of plants just because they wanted to be nice to me. Tomorrow will be about my third year of keeping fish and I have learned a lot and have made lots of mistakes but thanks to you guys here on fishlore I have bean able to keep my fish alive and even give advice to others. I know have a 20 gallon aquarium that I am totally decking out and would not be able to without all of your help .

1. Dolfan
2. VWTDI02
3. Lilibeth_Seasong
4. Chris99
5. chunk101
6. Theman1
7. Rivieraneo
8. platy21
9. guppybreeder
10. lollipopkiller
11. MotoDude104
12. Amzwiz87
13. echi1
14. bobthebadger53
15. xshainax
16. jreinhart
17. nk0525
18.Scoutsfish
19.UnderwaterMeditation
20. oOBlueOo
21. Nick Della Rocca
22.guppy5

Dolfan

Happy New Year to everyone on Fishlore. So it is time to draw the winning number. I use random.org to generate a random number between 1 and 22, and the winner is 14. bobthebadger53 I will send them a PM so I can get their address and the plant package will go out Monday. If for some reason bobthebadger does not respond I will pull another winning number over the weekend.

The plant package is going to consist of a sampling of the following plants....

Ludwigia
water wisteria
frogbit
rotala
bronze crypt wendetti
jungle valisnera

Thanks to all for participating. For anyone that didn't win, feel free to check out my sales thread and PM with any questions if you are interested....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/aquarium-plants-for-sale-easy-low-light.185696/

Dolfan

Bobthebadger53 has claimed his prize, so congratulations to him. Thanks to all for sharing your great stories of positivity. I hope everyone gets the year off to a great start.

nk0525

Thanks for doing the ROAK Dolfan. That is very cool.

JoelTRG

Darn I missed this

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom