100% Free Plant RAOK for Mothers Day

Dolfan

In honor of Mother's Day coming up I figured it was a good time to hold another RAOK contest for some free plants. You don't have to be a Mother to enter. Here are the contest rules...

Must have 50 posts to enter, per forum rules.

Contest will run until Thursday night (May 7th) around 8pm eastern time. At which time I will draw a winning number using a random number generator from random.org. I will then PM the winner, and that person will need to reply to my PM with their name and address by Friday night so I can ship out on Saturday, May 9th. If I can't get in touch with the winner, I will pull another number. Either way, someone is getting shipped some plants for free.

Since I am paying shipping, this deal is only open to those in the continental U.S., sorry people in other places. Don't want to deal with customs.

This deal is 100% free, I will pay shipping out of my pocket. The plant package will consist of....

hornwort, frogbit, ludwigia, rotala, vals, crypt and perhaps more. It depends on what is available come next week.

These are all easy plants and great for someone looking for some variety or a beginner just getting started with plants. I can provide some insight to get you started as well. They are low light plants that can grow easily in just about any setup and substrate. They come from my aquarium which does have Malaysian Trumpet Snails and some pond snails.

If you would like a shot at some free plants mailed to your door, here is all you have to do.....

Since Mothers all give us great advice, I figured we could each share one bit of advice that has helped you in regards to the aquarium hobby. So reply below with any piece of advice you have found helpful. Try not to have repeats when possible. The goal is to have a long list with great advice.

After your post copy and paste the numbered list with your name in the next spot. I will start the replies with an example after this post.

Here is a link to my normal plant sales thread if you wanted to know what I have....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/aquarium-plants-for-sale-easy-low-light.185696/

And here is a link to my article on getting started with low light / low tech tanks if you are looking for some tips and advice on planted tanks....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/resources/how-to-set-up-a-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.24/

Thanks to all the Mothers out there for all that you do and thanks in advance for participating.

Dolfan

My advice is to do your research. Use the forum and search topics before asking questions. This will help you ask better, more informed questions. So before you post that no thread about a question, check out and search things, odds are someone else here on fishlore has had the same issue. Check all the forums out and be sure to post stuff in the correct forum folder, not just everything in freshwater basics.

Google is your friend, use it, learn it, love it, be one with the google. There is soo much info out there on the web, just ripe for the picking. All of us were noobs at some point, but the way we learn and grow is doing research.

1. Dolfan

oOBlueOo

My advice is to make sure you have back up equipment for your tanks. You never know when a tank,heater, filter, or light bulb is going to break. It's always useful to have extras laying around, especially if something breaks and the stores are closed, like a holiday.

1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

LiterallyHydro

The advice that saved me a lot of headaches was never cheaping out on Heaters, bought 4 broken heaters in a row until I finally spent more than $20 on a heater and it's been working great for 8 months now.

Also always go RO/DI in Saltwater setups. Ignored that advice when I set up my first FOWLR and I paid for it with algae growth for 3-4 months.

Edit: Wanted to add another piece of advice to all the newcomers out there. Don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly it seems I'm sure we're all glad to help! It also may prevent future problems!

1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

AquaticBrandon

Some good advice that I got when I got into the hobby was to research. Researching is really important in this hobby as it will save you time and money. It saved me money by doing my research and knowing what fish are compatible and the tank size that they need. I've seen many people make mistakes because they don't research.
Some other advice that I got was to spend the extra money on better quality stuff. I know some people will try to save as much money as possible in this hobby by buying cheaper items, but it's sometimes best to spend the extra money on better quality items. That $8 heater that you found on the Internet can lead to your fish getting fried or the heater malfunctioning. The better quality items will last you a long time.
1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

Dustin Boisen

My advice would be to not rush into setting up and stocking your tanks. I actually learned that from my mom who set up a tank when I was younger and she spent so much money on getting everything and wanted everything to be beautiful now and over stocked it and unfortunately killed all the fish and plants but ive been doing research and asking questions on here on Fishlore and now my mom is wanted to try again with the tanks ive been setting up and are slowly getting beautiful
1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5.Dustin Boisen

Bajoc

I think something that would have been really helpful when I started was hearing that you have to keep your sleeves wet. By that I mean you have to be proactive with your tanks, not just water changes once a week of throwing some food in, but really have to dig in and get wet helping the tank along. If you aren't willing to spend at least 3 or 4 hours a week with your arms wet up to the elbows, this may not be the hobby for you.

1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5.Dustin Boisen

6 .Bajoc

junebug

The most helpful piece of advice I got was, "Don't put plants in your aquarium, they cause more problems than they're worth." Why was that helpful? Well it got me researching planted aquariums. Now I have one of the lowest maintenance fishroom setups imaginable, very few health issues, and very happy fish. I also have dozens of species of very happy plants. Haha! Walstad all the way!

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug

CaptArtemis

This would have saved me some headaches;
Get to know your fish-guy at your lfs/lps. Talk to them more than once before deciding to trust them. Just because they don't work for a chain store doesn't automatically mean they know what there doing or have your fishes best interest in mind.

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis

Zapfish

My best advice is to always ask for help. You can never have too many opinions and sometimes people will even give away perfectly good equipment. I have had tons of help from my friends and even more help from the great people on this forum. Long story short never underestimate the power of help.
1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

Theman1

My advice would be don't be afraid to do anything. I was very nervous and scared about going to pressurized co2 and dealing with ferts. but once I got it setup and tuned in, it was not that bad. Everyone makes mistakes but with people from the forum and google there is always help out there. Just research research research!!

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1

marytsharp

[h=2]100% Free Plant RAOK for Mothers Day[/h]When I was very young only 5 or 6 years old, my mother nurtured my love of all animals from dogs, cats, birds and of course fish. She had my dad purchase a tank that at the time was considered "huge" but in looking back I think it was a 55 gallon. She began teaching me about being responsible for the needs and care of those goldfish. She also used the public library to foster my academic learning by taking me to the library and then getting me to read all kinds of books on aquariums, tropical fish, and other scientific journals related to the subject. She always taught me to help those in need and made sure that I understood that my "smarts" were a gift to be shared with others who didn't have the same upbringing. If we couldn't find an accessory (example siphon) or couldn't afford the store bought version, she taught me to figure out how to make one myself. I have once again followed her advice and "MacGyvered" a siphon instead of paying for one that would not do the job adequately. In those days, live plants were not the norm. Yes, I'm ancient. Now I still use what I learned from her but I've found that this forum's members and moderators are more than willing to keep teaching me new things.
My advice is to make sure you have back up equipment for your tanks. You never know when a tank,heater, filter, or light bulb is going to break. It's always useful to have extras laying around, especially if something breaks and the stores are closed, like a holiday.

1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. marytsharp

oOBlueOo

marytsharp said:
[h=2]100% Free Plant RAOK for Mothers Day[/h]When I was very young only 5 or 6 years old, my mother nurtured my love of all animals from dogs, cats, birds and of course fish. She had my dad purchase a tank that at the time was considered "huge" but in looking back I think it was a 55 gallon. She began teaching me about being responsible for the needs and care of those goldfish. She also used the public library to foster my academic learning by taking me to the library and then getting me to read all kinds of books on aquariums, tropical fish, and other scientific journals related to the subject. She always taught me to help those in need and made sure that I understood that my "smarts" were a gift to be shared with others who didn't have the same upbringing. If we couldn't find an accessory (example siphon) or couldn't afford the store bought version, she taught me to figure out how to make one myself. I have once again followed her advice and "MacGyvered" a siphon instead of paying for one that would not do the job adequately. In those days, live plants were not the norm. Yes, I'm ancient. Now I still use what I learned from her but I've found that this forum's members and moderators are more than willing to keep teaching me new things.

1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. marytsharp

Actually, you would be #11. And I think you meant to either delete or quote me, since my advice is also included in your post.

Anders247

marytsharp said:
100% Free Plant RAOK for Mothers Day

When I was very young only 5 or 6 years old, my mother nurtured my love of all animals from dogs, cats, birds and of course fish. She had my dad purchase a tank that at the time was considered "huge" but in looking back I think it was a 55 gallon. She began teaching me about being responsible for the needs and care of those goldfish. She also used the public library to foster my academic learning by taking me to the library and then getting me to read all kinds of books on aquariums, tropical fish, and other scientific journals related to the subject. She always taught me to help those in need and made sure that I understood that my "smarts" were a gift to be shared with others who didn't have the same upbringing. If we couldn't find an accessory (example siphon) or couldn't afford the store bought version, she taught me to figure out how to make one myself. I have once again followed her advice and "MacGyvered" a siphon instead of paying for one that would not do the job adequately. In those days, live plants were not the norm. Yes, I'm ancient. Now I still use what I learned from her but I've found that this forum's members and moderators are more than willing to keep teaching me new things.
1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. marytsharp

My advice would be to join fishlore, make friends, and follow good advice. Always do tons of research.
Never use the the inch per gallon rule and be wary of aqadvisor.

I'll fix it.

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1
11. marytsharp
12. Anders247

waterlilykari

Never let pride get in the way of your fish keeping. The only real place for pride is when you are able to stand back at the end and say " I am proud of all the hard work, time and energy I have put in because it shows." Other than that, there is no place for it in fish keeping if you want to be successful at all because you can't let it make you too defensive to accept help or advice when you need it, to ask in the first place to find out the information you need that can prevent many mistakes, or barring that even to get to the point where you can't admit, "I screwed up, and I have zero idea how to set things right." The people that are most successful here and elsewhere at keeping aquariums have done so by asking the questions even when it sounded stupid within their own heads, double checking all answers, researching, brainstorming, trying new ideas, pushing their boundaries and their comfort zone, putting in their time and effort and most importantly: learning from the mistakes they made along the way so they do not continue to make the same ones again and again. It's impossible to learn that if you are too wrapped up in your pride to notice the lessons right in front of you.

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1
11. marytsharp
12. Anders247
13. waterlilykari

Anders247

That's okay marytsharp. It was an accident.
1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1
11. marytsharp
12. Anders247
13. waterlilykari

Anders247

We should probably "cut the chatter" lol. I'll put the list here to make it easier to find:
1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1
11. marytsharp
12. Anders247
13. waterlilykari

Witchydesign

My advice would be to keep documentation on your tank. I keep a small composition book next to my tank and write down dates and water parameters or odd fish behavior. Also I write down water changes and how much I did. This is so that you can see trends and possible causes for problems that pop up on your tank. Also goes for ferts, meds... anything that goes in the tank I write down. This is also helpful if your completely scatterbrained like myself and can barely keep track of what day of the week it is :-D

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1
11. marytsharp
12. Anders247
13. waterlilykari
14. Witchydesign

Thomas Lin

Understanding that your fish are living in a confined environment. It is the equivalent of you being in a apartment. Therefore you need to do cleanings so waste doesn't build up, make sure you don't overcrowd because you won't have personal space, and make sure you don't introduce diseases because you all will suffer.
1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

jana

Watch your fish's behavior during feeding time as it will help you identify problems earlier. And one more suggestion would be to clean your filter cartridges/sponge etc., with the water removed when cleaning the tank.
1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

16. Jana

BerryBeezy

Wash your hands! It's only on rare occasions but open cuts in tank water could spell infection. Just a word of caution.

1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

16. Jana

17. BerryBeezy

Flowingfins

Make sure to pick out any mulch, rocks, snails, plants and such when dirting your tank. I learned that the hard way.
1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

16. Jana

17. BerryBeezy

18. Flowingfins

>(^.^)<

KyleC17

Take things extremely slow when starting up a tank.. I rushed when I first started and ended up messing up tons of stuff. Thanks for the chance and for this contest.

1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

16. Jana

17. BerryBeezy

18. Flowingfins

19. KyleC17

Jeanice

Take the time to sit down and watch your aquarium. We spend a lot of time up to our elbows (or armpits) in tank maintenance. So don't forget to stop and smell the roses. I, for one, wish I could live in there. But then I remember that there is no one else who will do w/c.

1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

16. Jana

17. BerryBeezy

18. Flowingfins

19. KyleC17

20. Jeanice

MarkCamp3

Jeanice said:
Take the time to sit down and watch your aquarium. We spend a lot of time up to our elbows (or armpits) in tank maintenance. So don't forget to stop and smell the roses. I, for one, wish I could live in there. But then I remember that there is no one else who will do w/c.

1. Dolfan[

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

16. Jana

17. BerryBeezy

18. Flowingfins

19. KyleC17

20. Jeanice

My advice would be to get everyone in the house involved. Having more than one person in your home knowledgeable helps in dire situations where your too worried to know what to do. I was raised in a homer where fish were just as much part of the family as our dogs and cats, and now our pigs. My mother still to this day gives me tid bits of information about my aquariums. And trust me when I say this, getting help is nothing to be ashamed of, you can't do everything yourself.
1. Dolfan[

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

16. Jana

17. BerryBeezy

18. Flowingfins

19. KyleC17

20. Jeanice

21. Markcamp3

Anders247

I'll copy and paste for the above user, they must have forgot.
1. Dolfan

2. oOBlueOo

3. LiterallyHydro

4. AquaticBrandon

5. Dustin Boisen

6. Bajoc

7. junebug

8. CaptArtemis

9. Zapfish

10.Theman1

11. marytsharp

12. Anders247

13. waterlilykari

14. Witchydesign

15. Thomas Lin

16. Jana

17. BerryBeezy

18. Flowingfins

19. KyleC17

20. Jeanice

21. MarkCamp3

Dolfan

Great advice so far, keep it coming. 2 more days until close of the contest. Here is the current list so far....

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1
11. marytsharp
12. Anders247
13. waterlilykari
14. Witchydesign
15. Thomas Lin
16. Jana
17. BerryBeezy
18. Flowingfins
19. KyleC17
20. Jeanice
21. MarkCamp3

Bijou88

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1
11. marytsharp
12. Anders247
13. waterlilykari
14. Witchydesign
15. Thomas Lin
16. Jana
17. BerryBeezy
18. Flowingfins
19. KyleC17
20. Jeanice
21. MarkCamp3
22. Bijou88

My advice is to make sure you research your substrate BEFORE you get it in there, it's a real pain to switch to another once the tank is full of fish and plants. I've switched mine twice :/

Wendigoblue

1. Dolfan
2. oOBlueOo
3. LiterallyHydro
4. AquaticBrandon
5. Dustin Boisen
6. Bajoc
7. junebug
8. CaptArtemis
9. Zapfish
10.Theman1
11. marytsharp
12. Anders247
13. waterlilykari
14. Witchydesign
15. Thomas Lin
16. Jana
17. BerryBeezy
18. Flowingfins
19. KyleC17
20. Jeanice
21. MarkCamp3
22. Bijou88
23. echi1

My advice is to start right! Don't breed fish without having all the equipment and don't keep fish without all the equipment! Don't go cheap and get the kits either, they may work depending on how nice the kit is, but mine never out ranked buying my own equipment. My aquarium kit filter is really bad and the heater wouldn't stabilize after a week of waiting for it to (the heater is not in use anymore)... Good luck!

Dolfan

Closing out the contest in 20 minutes, any last entries?

Dolfan

Ok contest is closed.

The lucky number drawn from random.org is #9 - Zapfish. He will be winning a plant package including....

frogbit
hornwort
ludwigia repens
rotala rotundifola
valisnera
bronze crypt
mixed moss (mix of java and Christmas mosses)
subwassertang

All 100% free.

I will send you a PM right now. If Zapfish doesn't contact me by tomorrow night, I will draw a new winner. Thanks all for participating. If anyone was still looking for plants be sure to check out my sales page, here is a link....

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/aquarium-plants-for-sale-easy-low-light.185696/

Happy Mother's Day!

Zapfish

Wow I feel so honored to have won. I PMed you back so let me know if you didn't get a reply.

Dolfan

Zapfish has claimed his prize, thanks again all for participating.

Rivieraneo

Dolfan, thank you for being so generous to our members.

To those who participated, thank you for sharing such great advice.

Thread closed.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom