100-150 Baby Angel Fish In 5.2 Gallons

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jacob_321, Apr 11, 2017.

1. j

jacob_321 New Member Member

hi guys i have recenlty had a spawn of angel fish the male seems to be eating them and the female keeps bashing the male everytime he does(the male now hides almost allday).my question is can i put these angelfish fry in my 5.2 gallon for say 3-8 weeks?they tank its self is well established over 12 months old.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would say no they would need a bigger tank but @bizaliz3 would know more

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

No. They will be SEVERELY stunted. Especially with such a large crowd. They will be stunted and their fins will develop bent and unhealthy. I highly encourage you not to!!!

I put newborns in a 10 gallon and won't leave them in there any longer then 3 weeks tops! A proper grow out for angels is something like a 40 gallon breeder. A grow out for 100-150 of them??? A COUPLE 55s!

How long have they been free swimming? Could you manage to get a bigger tank before they've been free swimming for 3 weeks?

4. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

Get a tote

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I have used a 5.5 gallon tank for newly swimming Angelfish spawns so that they can easily find food the first time. However, this would only be for a week max. I left them a bit over two weeks once, and ended up with a lot of deformed fry later. A 10 would be a much better choice for the first week or two.

6. OP
    OP
    j

they have been swimming for 1-2 days, there tiny, they dont take up so much mass, why would a 5.2 gallon be so bad?ive had tons more mass of shrimp in the same tank before..

7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

You really can't compare shrimp to angelfish fry

8. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

Apples and bowling balls

9. bizaliz3

Shrimp are much smaller adults than angels.

As I, and @chromedome52 said...they will be stunted and deformed if grown out in such a tiny overcrowded space.....

Edit....if they have only been swimming for a couple days...the 5 could work for maybe another week tops. You have to factor in the large number of angels too!!

I had 80 little 1-2 month old babies in a 40 gallon and they got overcrowded and their growth got stunted and some of their fins bent. You have twice as many babies and hope to cram them in a 5 gallon for a couple months.....they will be significantly deformed.

10. OP
    OP
    j

yes ofcourse,but imtalking about momving them over before they even becom shrimp adult size

11. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I would go and buy a large storage container and use that temporarily until a more permanent situation can be arranged.

12. bizaliz3

They won't reach adult shrimp size in a 5 gallon. Not for months!! And their fins will be significantly deformed. The problem is, its not about their current size. it's about the fact that they need to develop into much larger fish than those shrimp do! And if they're going to develop properly they need the same amount of space as their adult selves too. Especially if you've got over a hundred of them!! Baby fish can be even be stunted in large tanks if they're overcrowded!

13. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeper Valued Member Member

I would leave them in the tank and let the parents take their population down if you wanted. Then just buy a large tote and raise them in that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice