10 year old, 1+foot long salt porcupine puffer - senior foods? Nutrition needs

1. Baddogz Initiate Member

Hello everybody,
    My name is Debbie, and my puffer's name is Jerry. Jerry is 10 years old and still very healthy. It takes a lot of water changes to care for him, but it seems to be keeping him happy.
    His diet consists of 1 Xlarge frozen shrimp per day or 1 to 2 fresh steamer clams. I soak the clams in refrigerated tank water for 2days before feeding (only live clams from New England). I've tried lettuce, flakes and cubes but he won't eat them. I soak his food in vitamins and he eats a little seaweed, but I think that as a senior his needs have changed.
    Does anyone have an older puffer like Jerry?
    Debbie

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Since no one has said anything I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have no saltwater creatures so I've no idea if the same rules apply but isn't it the case that more protein is needed as we age because our bodies have a harder time repairing themselves? Except in cases of kidney problems extra protein is ok.

I would say that if he's acting well, eating and pooping fine, then his diet is adequate. And wow, 10 years! Well done:)

3. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I also have many older fish but no puffers even though I do like them very much.

I just wanted to say well done! Keep it going!

4. Baddogz Initiate Member

Thank you for the kudos. He has been a great teacher.
    He does get plenty of protein from the shrimp and clams. I guess that's ok for him in his old age too.
    Btw...I've been told by many fish folks that feeding steamer clams is bad for him because of foreign bacteria. I feed him clams regularly because he loves them-literally jumps for joy-and the shells keep his teeth trimmed. I always soak them before feeding.

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Meh. There's bacteria in everything. As long as you're taking steps to ensure that they're not coming directly from dirty water and they've had a chance to purge any excess nastiness then you've done your best to make them safe:)