10 watt fluorescent lamp for 10 gallon tank?

1. shrimp

shrimp Valued Member Member

Is it alright if I put in two 10 watt super daylight mini compact fluorescent bulbs in a 10 gallon tank? Will that be too strong of light for my shell dweller tank? I like that realistic white light look.

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Here's a picture of my 15g lit with 2 13w 6500k cfl's. I'd imagine it would end up similar to this, keep in mind the black sand and background does keep it kind of dim:
    [​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    shrimp

I put two bulbs in already and it looks very bright. Now my concern is will i have a large growth of algae with fluorescent bulbs that are left on for 12 hours a day?

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Are you aiming for algae growth or not? Do you have other plants in the tank? Do you dose ferts/co2?

5. OP
    OP
    shrimp

I am not aiming for it, no. And no CO2 additives. And no live plants in my 10 gallon. Im trying to grow some in my 5.5 gallon. But cant in my 10 since my shell dwellers would destroy them.

6. Matt B

I would take one out.

7. OP
    OP
    shrimp

Would it be bad if I just left one of the light bulb spots open. Wouldnt the water vapor affect it some how?

8. Matt B

I guess that is a possibility, normally they have a shield where the bulb is that would protect it. Also, I would think if it got that much water up there it would infiltrate the socket bulb or not. I have a couple fixtures with empty sockets and haven't had a problem.

Got a dead lightbulb? You could put that in or cover the open socket with something non conductive and won't burn.