10 to 20 gallon restock

DetroitDan

Reaction score
Im going from a ten gallon to 20 gallon. In my existing 10 gallon I have 4 fish, 2 pigmy cats, a male guppy and a Buenos Aires Tetra. They will transfer from new tank, anybody tell me what else I should stock and how many. I want smaller fish if possible.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You will want to increase the amounts of pygmy corys and BATs to at least 6 (and in a 20, easily more) to make proper schools, and the guppy could probably use a few companions but get at least 5 to divide aggression among them.
So let's assume your stocking plan goes as:
6 pygmy corys
6 BATs
(I'm assuming) 5ish guppies
As a centerpiece you could add an apistogramma cacatouides.

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with AquaticQueen the guppies do best in groups and the Pygmy cats and tetra need schools of at least 6. Another centerpiece fish if you wanted one could be a honey gourami (I don’t recommend a betta, male or female, with any type of guppy).

I currently have a 20g long with a cory school of 6, 7 glowlight tetras, one betta, and 9 mystery snails.

Edit: If you do not have a 20g long only increase the schools and do not add any other types of fish. Longer tanks are typically better than taller tanks for almost all tropical fish. (Angel fish need taller tanks but that’s the only one I know needs taller)

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Personally I don't think honeys will do well with BA tetras. The tetras will grow larger than the gouramis and will swim around constantly, frightening the small timid gourami.

Also I don't recommend any guppy with any cichlid. The males direct their reproducing habits towards cichlids and my Bolivian rams find it extremely annoying.

We should wait for the OP to answer if it is a 20 long or high, no?

OP
D

DetroitDan

Reaction score
AquaticQueen said:
You will want to increase the amounts of pygmy corys and BATs to at least 6 (and in a 20, easily more) to make proper schools, and the guppy could probably use a few companions but get at least 5 to divide aggression among them.
So let's assume your stocking plan goes as:
6 pygmy corys
6 BATs
(I'm assuming) 5ish guppies
As a centerpiece you could add an apistogramma cacatouides.
Thank you for the wisdom sounds like a nice variety to work with. Is it possible that the bat is a female guppy. It looks like a bat but Im not real sure. I looked online and it looks like a bat but some what like a guppy. Orange fins and gills.

FinalFins said:
Personally I don't think honeys will do well with BA tetras. The tetras will grow larger than the gouramis and will swim around constantly, frightening the small timid gourami.

Also I don't recommend any guppy with any cichlid. The males direct their reproducing habits towards cichlids and my Bolivian rams find it extremely annoying.

We should wait for the OP to answer if it is a 20 long or high, no?
Its a top fin 20 gallon, its only 24 long and is not the high.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ok, 24 long means is the high model :)

First thing off the bat up the numbers for the catfish and the tetras.

What kind of pygmy catfish?

Other wise a nice stock could be

8 pygmy cats
3 guppies
8 BA tetras

OP
D

DetroitDan

Reaction score
DetroitDan said:
Its a top fin 20 gallon, its only 24 long and is not the high.
Its 24 long, 12.7 wide and 16 inches high.

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve never had Gouramis with guppies so I don’t know about the behavior but both BAT and the Honey Gouramis are around 3 inches so while they aren’t larger they may still be too much activity for the Honeys. Personally I’d just increase the fish types you have now, 24inches long isn’t a lot of swimming space for active fish but it is doable.

DetroitDan said:
Its 24 long, 12.7 wide and 16 inches high.
That is the high version, the 20g long is 30inL x 12inW x 12inH

OP
D

DetroitDan

Reaction score
Candace said:
I’ve never had Gouramis with guppies so I don’t know about the behavior but both BAT and the Honey Gouramis are around 3 inches so while they aren’t larger they may still be too much activity for the Honeys. Personally I’d just increase the fish types you have now, 24inches long isn’t a lot of swimming space for active fish but it is doable.
Thanks , Candace, I bought the BAT from an inexperienced pet store worker who gave me the wrong fish. I just found out the other day what it was, and know he should have tank mates. I doubt the Pet place I go to now even have them. Is it safe and wise to get more. I had no idea they can get a little large. Hes my oldest fish.

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DetroitDan said:
Thanks , Candace, I bought the BAT from an inexperienced pet store worker who gave me the wrong fish. I just found out the other day what it was, and know he should have tank mates. I doubt the Pet place I go to now even have them. Is it safe and wise to get more. I had no idea they can get a little large. Hes my oldest fish.
Yes, you should get more. If you can’t special order through your LFS you should try to find an online source that delivers. Since you want to get more fish all of your fish would be happiest in a group.

OP
D

DetroitDan

Reaction score
Candace said:
Yes, you should get more. If you can’t special order through your LFS you should try to find an online source that delivers. Since you want to get more fish all of your fish would be happiest in a group.
You dont think they would outgrow the 20 gallon? Id love to have more if its safe?

FinalFins said:

8 pygmy cats
3 guppies
8 BA tetras
I think they are Cory, they are pink and I think Albino.

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DetroitDan said:
You dont think they would outgrow the 20 gallon? Id love to have more if its safe?
I think 6 BET, 6-8 pygmys and 4-5 guppies would be safe, keep in mind that it’s only technically 4 inches longer than the 10g, it’s just taller.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FinalFins said:

8 pygmy cats
3 guppies
8 BA tetras
I would do a few more guppies.

New Threads