10 Nitrates Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Jrobber, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Here's a summary:

Currently treating ICK with meds, therefore no filters are in the tank.

Only 2 gouramis, 1 black mollies, 1 pleco in tank.

Just did a 30-40% water change.

pH 8.0
    Ammonia 0.0
    Nitrite 0.0
    Nitrate 10

29 gallon,gravel substrate, plastic plants.

My fish seem fine but I just now realized how to test for nitrates and came up with this reading of 10.

Should I be worried about the nitrates currently?

2. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Nitrates are right where they should be. :) Ideally, your tank parameters should be ammonia-0ppm; nitrITES-0ppm; niTRATES-10-20ppm. Nitrates are the idicators of the good bacteria that help break down ammonia and nitrites, both of which are harmful (and toxic) to fish.

I'm not sure if the meds will work efficiently, but in my experience, the easiest and fastest way to get rid of ick is to turn up the temperature on the tank to about 82F and add a little aquarium salt (if you don't already). The ick parasite can't survive in the higher temps and after a week (sometimes less) your fish should be ick-free. Keep the temperature high for about a week after the last signs of ick are gone to help really kill off the bugs, then return the temp to normal. I had to treat two male bettas in both of my divided 10gal tanks (one in each tank...oddly, they were the only ones to get it) and within about a week and a half of having the temperature at 84F, they were ick-free and it hasn't reared its ugly head since.

3. claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

Isn't it only filters with carbon that are a problem with meds? The carbon absords the meds and takes them out of circulation.
    Nitrates of 10 are fine. A few other threads have had people debating between 20 and 40 as the upper limit of safe level.

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with ICH.

What have you done with your filter media? If the good bacteria doesn't have a food source then your cycle may crash.

I don't recommend medicines for ICH except for severe cases. The heat method is usually the best way to go as some medicines can destroy your good bacteria. I would suggest raising it to 85, add an air stone as warmer waters require more oxygen. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Leave the temperature raised for a full two weeks.

Normally when using medicines you only have to remove the carbon as Claud mentioned.

Best of luck for a full recovery!
    Ken

5. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Good morning, and thanks for the tips guys.

The reason I was asking about the nitrates was because I wasn't doing the nitrate test right with the API kit. I was shaking bottle #2 because I was misreading the label, oops.

I removed my filter because the filter contains carbon particles. I treated the water for a couple days with the filter in and didn't see any results. As I noticed the filter had the carbon in it and that's why I removed it. I've also upped the temperature as well since Thursday.

I will keep testing the water to make sure I don't have a mini-cycle going on, but as of this morning, my remaining fish were acting fine and the black mollie didn't have as many spots of her.

I would say my case of ICK was severe as I lost a total of 4 fish to the disease.

Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice