10 Month Old Molly Fry With Possible Fungus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RancidLatte, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RancidLatte

RancidLatte New Member Member

My 2 year old white molly and black molly gave birth to a massive batch of fry almost a year ago. I kept the two biggest fry in the tank with the parents and they have grown up to be almost full size. Recently, I noticed that the two "juvenile" mollies, if you will, were acting odd. They stayed in place for prolonged amounts of time or hid for hours on end. The healthier looking molly turned up dead early this morning and the smaller one that seemed to have fin rot or fungus is acting much better oddly. I dont want to spread this to my mature mollies and I have already tried to use aquarium salt. How should I treat this? Could I use ich medicine, more salt? Any other suggestions? I know its not ich as ich is small white spots all over the body and my trashy pictures might not be good enough to give me a diagnosis. Sorry. Its hard to take pics. If the water looks dirty its becuase I just cleaned my gravel and there is some stuff floating around still. EDIT: I cant get a good picture of him as he keeps hiding. He has small white patches on the back of his body. his fins had pale tips and seem slightly jagged. he is acting lethargic and hides until I feed him

2. F

Footballfanatic42 New Member Member

Can you post a picture

3. OP
    OP
    RancidLatte

RancidLatte New Member Member

He continues to hide and when I try to get him out he goes right back into his hiding area. Sorry.

4. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

turn up the heat to atleast 30 degrees celcius.
    a photo would be good maybe you can coax them out

5. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Are you sure about the heat? I thought fungus gets worse at higher temperatures.

Give them methylene blue baths for 5 days and if possible move them to a hospital tank where you can easily monitor them. At least that is what I would do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  6. Cori Elizabeth

When dealing with fungusses, the first thing I do is turn up the heat and immediately it gets better. This is just me though not sure about anyone else :)

7. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I have 0 experience with fungus so I can't really talk about it altough if I ever got fungus I would treat with methylene blue.

8. Cori Elizabeth

I agree with the methylene blue, turning up the heat is always my first move though :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice