10 gallon - What types of algae are these?

peddidle

My 10g tank has been running for about 6 months now. I suddenly have new algae showing up. I've always had a moderate battle with brown algae--sometimes worse than others, currently a bit bigger battle than usual--but haven't had problems with any other kinds until now.

Last WC was Wednesday. I had noticed what I think is hair algae at that point (like very long, fine strands of lint) but figured I wouldn't worry about it until next water change since it seems to only be growing on the moss, which is due for a trim.

This afternoon, new algae has quite suddenly shown up, and I know it's sudden because (1) it's on the filter that I clean in tank water every time I do a WC and (2) it's very obvious, so I would have noticed it sooner if it was there sooner. It's black, except it's not--maybe a really, really dark green? It's also in spots on my anubias. I haven't added anything to the tank, changed food or fertilizer or lighting or anything. I'm really puzzled where it came from (neither of my other two tanks have these algae).

Anyone know for sure what types of algae these are? Do I need to do an immediate WC to control it, or what do I need to do?

Gel0city

I can't really tell from your photos. Are you talking about the brown algae? That doesn't look like hair algae and I can see it in a few of your photos. Are you talking about the clear - like hairy algae? Sorry, I can't really tell..

Upvote 0

peddidle

I can't really tell from your photos. Are you talking about the brown algae? That doesn't look like hair algae and I can see it in a few of your photos. Are you talking about the clear - like hairy algae? Sorry, I can't really tell..
I updated the pictures. The algae in question are now circled (ignore the brown algae--I'm quite aware it is there but it's not a concern).

The picture with the moss has this very fine, long, lint-like algae; it's bright olive green and at first I thought it was just the moss growing, but then I realized it was far too long to be the moss.

The two with the anubias have these really dark green algae spots on the leaves, different from the brown algae.

The one with the filter almost looks as if someone scribbled on it with a marker; the algae on it is also very dark green in color. The algae on the filter does not rub off easily, though I imagine a toothbrush could remove it--I'd like to know what type it is, though, so I can hopefully prevent it from coming back or spreading to a place that would be more difficult to clean.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tpane27
  • Question
  • ArtFish
  • Algae
Replies
Views
sinned4g63
Replies