10 Gallon- What Do You Guys Think?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jaymethy, Apr 11, 2018.

1. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

I'm planning on stocking my 10 G as follows:

2 panda cory catfish (I've already got these guys)
    3 red cherry shrimp
    6 neon tetras (or another tetra of comparable size, preferably red. Any suggestions?)
    3 fancy male guppies (again, red coloured. Can you see a theme?)

What do you guys think? I know this might be a little heavy, but I have quite a strong filter on it, and perform weekly 25% water changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  2. a

all-out-fallout Valued Member Member

I’d nix the neon tetras. They’re immensely active and like longer footprints. Other good options would be ruby tetras or ember tetras (which are more orange than red, but I figured I’d mention them anyway). You could also go with chili rasbora, which are very vibrant and small red fish. The only other redfish I can think of that might work is a dwarf pencilfish, but those are primarily white with red accents.​

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Eextremely overstocked, not a good choice at all.
    I wouldn’t do the panda corydoras either, you should drop everything on the list except the shrimp, and start over.

You can have guppies, but only a small amount.
    Agreed with the post above, you can do the Ember Tetras, or Chili Rasboras.

4. OP
    OP
    j

Do you know if cardinal tetras are less active? I've heard they are.
    I'll also look into the other tetras you mentioned, hopefully I'll be able to find them... thats the biggest issue I'm finding when stocking this tank...

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I haven’t kept cardinals in a 10 gallon, but I advise you not to anyway. Go with the suggestions from the other members.

You can try black neons in the tank, they will work.

6. BettaAquarium

BettaAquarium New Member Member

I agree with above. Corydora needs to be in schools of 4-6, at the smallest.
    That type of cory needs a 20g long minimum.

The cardinals are a great choice for a 10g, but I don't know about the fish.
    I'm not the best stocker, so I'm not sure about everything, wait for other responses for further advice.

7. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

The bare minimum school size for the corys is 6. Cardinals need a minimum of a 15 gallon long or 20H.

8. BettaAquarium

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I'm really not the best with shrimp, because I've only kept ghost shrimp.
    I knew the schooling minimum was around those numbers, but I couldn't remember. :(

9. OP
    OP
    j

My pandas were in a school of 6 a few years back. These are the only two remaining, and the fish store wont take em back because they are so old (I've asked). So they are just going to hangout for the rest of their lives. Then I wont be restocking them.

10. BettaAquarium

Just get some more to make a school of them. Except house them in a larger aquarium.
    20g minimum for panda corydora.

11. OP
    OP
    j

I have about $25 in my bank account right now... lol... so I'm afraid getting a bigger tank is out of the question at the moment. Gotta love being a university student. I'll keep my eyes open for someone who might take them off my hands for me.

12. BettaAquarium

Look for any other local petstores that will take them away from you.
    I wouldn't risk getting any larger of a tank without much money.

13. OP
    OP
    j

I found some ember tetras at my lfs, and will pick up 6 of them in a few days. Thanks for the suggestion!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice