10 Gallon Tetra Tank With Betta Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BettaGirl93, Jul 18, 2019.

1. BettaGirl93

BettaGirl93Valued MemberMember

So I've been reading up that tetras can coexists with a male betta in a tank. I know tetras are best kept in groups of 6 or more so my question is is a 10 gallon tank sufficient for 6 neon (the red and blue stripy ones), one male betta, and a snail or two?

2. LagerthaM

LagerthaMValued MemberMember

I don't think so. Male bettas are extremely territorial and need a lot of space to themselves for a group tank to be successful. I know of people who say ten gallons is a minimum for one betta, let alone a group tank. From personal experience, I think 20+ gallons are the minimum for betta group tanks.

3. Alhana

AlhanaValued MemberMember

I think a lot of it depends on your betta. Some are fine with tank mates, others are killing machines. If you have a secondary tank that you can move the neons to if things go south then its something you can try. A lot of people suggest putting the tetras in first and then the betta in last. Making sure you have a lot of plants to offer hiding places and line of sight breaks.

4. OP
    OP
    BettaGirl93

That would be my plan of action my main concern was if 6 tetra and 1 betta would be over crowding a 10 gallon.

I've heard 5 gallon was the min for a single betta.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2019
  5. Orion1066

Orion1066Valued MemberMember

Without getting into the "One inch of fish" for "every gallon of water" rumble in the alley, I am inclined to say YES. Adequate filtration (mechanical, biological, chemical and more) sufficient feeding, and knowledgeable fish keeping, all positively increase that 1:10 ratio, and raise the number of fish of small/moderate size that you can keep in your tank, and enjoy your fish community.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would definitely not recommend mixing any fish with a betta in a 10 gallon tank but if you were to try it then don't get neons. They need 20 gallons minimum and should not be kept with bettas since they are not temperature compatible. If you must keep other animals with your betta then shrimp and snails are safer than fish. I keep my betta with a rabbit snail, a horned nerite snail, a few Ramshorn snails and a few amano shrimp in a 15 gallon.

If you have not got any of the fish yet then there are much better options for a 10 gallon community.
    Here are some ideas
    2 peacock gobies
    8 celestial pearl danios

Or
    2 scarlet badis
    8 gold ring danios

Or
    2 sparkling gouramis
    8 mosquito rasboras or ember tetras

7. LagerthaM

LagerthaMValued MemberMember

That's what I usually go with, but I have heard people argue for 10 gallons.

8. yinoma2001

yinoma2001Valued MemberMember

I actually keep a group of 10 ember tetras in a 20G long tank. But it's dependent on the temperament of the betta. This betta is chill and never attacks the ember tetras (which only grow to 1 inch max). They're quick and in a school so they don't mind the betta either.

9. WillR1496

WillR1496Valued MemberMember

I have a 30g with 1 betta and quite a few neon and ember tetras, kuhli loaches, mystery snail, 2 cherry shrimp and a nerite snail. They all get along just great but they do need space. I've seen my betta chase a tetra once but they have enough room that they can get away. Other than that one time, I almost never see that happen.

Someone suggested that you put in the tetras first and then the Betta. I recommend the same. That's what I did and everything is fine. You want the betta to feel like they're being introduced to a new clan rather than, a clan invading his/her space. If I had a 10g then I would not put tetras and a Betta in there for the sake of space and safety. But if you do have another tank as a back up then have that running and cycled just in case you have to move any of the fish around.

10. hanra85

hanra85Valued MemberMember

A 10g tank would absolutely be able to support that stocking, no doubt. If they think that stocking is high, what I have in my 15 gallon nano for the past two years, it would outright blow their minds, 8 neons, 8 long fin white cloud mountain minnows, 12 Celestial Pearl Danios and a breeding pair of Honey Gouramis and one baby honey Gourami which I actually found in my filter one day, most just get eaten as eggs though, the one time getting sucked into a filter actually saved a fish's life lol. My tank is heavily planted, has an abundance of filter media and I wouldn't consider any of my species to be territorial, so it works.
    Most important things to consider are no nippy fish, my neons tend to be pretty easy going and don't get very large, so they're actually a really good pick, you already know about keeping them in schools to make them more comfortable, uncomfortable tetras like to nip fins, also if your Betta does get territorial it won't likely be singling out just one fish, I'd probably even go somewhere between 6 and 10 neons.

11. CindyVBPets

CindyVBPetsValued MemberMember

The bio-load/crowding can be your main concern, but there's more to it than that. Like compatibility.

For example: you'll have to feed your Betta special food - likely by hand.... they only get 2-3 pellets max maybe twice per day....and if he chases down the other fishes' food during the feeding frenzy, he could over-eat and die....which is a Betta thing. Or not get proper nutrition if he's only living on tropical neon flakes.

I have one who will dive bomb anything he thinks is food and loves to scavenge the substrate for food because his former owners did just that...kept other fish. In her case, a cory and a pleco (who destroyed the Betta's fins because she didn't know to feed the pleco and cory sinking wafers.)

12. CindyVBPets

CindyVBPetsValued MemberMember

Twice the size and "long" being the operative word. ;)

13. OP
    OP
    BettaGirl93

I read that the tetras would eat the same food as the betta. I currently feed my betta a revolving door of pellets, freeze dried brine shrimp, and freeze dried tubifex worms.

14. yinoma2001

yinoma2001Valued MemberMember

Yup. And even in that it feels a bit cramped....

15. PokeTileCraft101

PokeTileCraft101Valued MemberMember

I think it would go fine. Just get some fish that are fast. Now these arent tetras but white cloud minnows would work. Or you go chili rasboras, they are small and IMO dont fin nip.

16. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

White cloud and bettas are not temperature compantable

17. FishLeGeNd

FishLeGeNdValued MemberMember

Tetras and bettas don't go well. No fish really go well with bettas. They are very territorial.

Bettas don't go to well with any fish.

18. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I have a betta and ember tetras in my 5.5 gallon that do very well . Like others have said have a back up plan cause some betas react differently. I plan on putting another nano fish school in an 8.8 with my other betta. hoping to find CPD's or Chilis eventually.

19. Lovecich

LovecichValued MemberMember

I have a 10g with a female betta and 3 African Dwarf Frogs.
    Peaceful and tons o' fun.