10 Gallon Terrarium

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by NinjaTetra, Aug 1, 2015.

1. NinjaTetra

NinjaTetra Well Known Member Member

I recently cleaned out my good ol 10 gallon fishtank. I have this idea of planting it real nice and jungle-ish... But what about the fauna? Are there smallish, semi-aquatic or not at all aquatic creatures that doesnt require frequent trips to go get bugs to feed it? And enjoys a planted enviornment?

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

2. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Maybe you could try a paludarium?

4. OP
    OP
    NinjaTetra

That was sort of what I meant. I dont have room for more than that 10 gallon, so I know my choices are super limited. The only 10 gallon options I can think of are fully aquatic things like bettas, or something like a tree frog that I have to go buy crickets for

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If you did a normal fish tank, you could do a school of Celestial pearl danios or chili rasboras.

6. OP
    OP
    NinjaTetra

If i did a normal tank I would do celestial pearls or a sparkling gourami

7. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

how about poison dart frogs. they are beautiful little frogs, cpo dwarf crayfisf, redbellied newts, fire belly frogs. pair of dwarf puffer fish. various kids of fancy color shrimps ... Alison

8. Wendigoblue

Wendigoblue Well Known Member Member

What about a mantis? Or a tarantula (a higher humidity one though, like most arboreal Ts)? I have a 40 gallon breeder paludarium currently in the making. I plan on having betta albimarginata in the tank along with endlers if possible, maybe a paludarium with a dwarf puffer (as mentioned) would work. I would love to have a planted terrarium with an orange starburst baboon tarantula, but their aggression is a problem (google them they're beautiful!)... Hopefully in the future I would love to make all my tanks into paludariums. Good luck!

9. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

If you go aquatic iwould do a mix of exotic shrimp.

10. OP
    OP
    NinjaTetra

I think the mantis idea is really interesting. I will look into that for sure- what do you feed them? I'm also seriously considering shrimp, I think that is a fantastic idea. So, most likely, I will either go fully aquatic and do a heavily planted shrimp/betta or pygmy gourami, or try and do a shrimp in the water setup with something up higher.... Thanks for all the ideas guys!

11. Wendigoblue

Depending on the species, fruit flies, flies, crickets, cockroaches, moths and even ants. I would recommend a Chinese mantis for that sized tank, they're great mantids!

12. OP
    OP
    NinjaTetra

I'm really leaning towards a fully aquatic shrimp tank now. I think I'll start with cherry shrimp, and if all goes well, Amazon has a huge variety of colors of crystal shrimp through InvertObsession. I'm still open to ideas, but I think I'll start a new thread about shrimp. If someone comes up with a suggestion that would work without me having to go buy bugs, I will consider that. Thanks guys!

~

13. Wendigoblue

What about a wolf spider? My wolf spider gets what ever manages to sneak it's way inside, which is normally flies and moths. Her space needs aren't that big, plus she doesn't even go to the other side of her tank. She just kind of sits in her log and waits for another meal. Careful if you catch them. I've gotten several females pregnant and ended up having an egg sac after a week or two. Don't get a rabid wolf spider though, as they're fast! My wolf (Saturn) is pretty slow, but not very mellow when it comes to disturbing her/cleaning her tank...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice