10 gallon tank

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
atmmachine816 said:
I'm back to considering this idea again so all the help is appreciated, I'm planning well in advance so when I do a trip to lfs in two months I can see if I  can find all the equipment I need.

First thing, I need a ten gallon tank and hood.  Can I use a regular light bulb or what do I need?
What kind of tank do you want to have. If it is just a fish tank then yes a regular light will be fine. The only time you need to worry about that lights is if you are going to have coral or live rock.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
O I think from before it's going to be just live rock, few inverts and a few fish if that. Nobody said what type of light to get and I have no idea.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
With live rock you can have any light it will live, but if you want it to grow the multicolor algae on it you will need to have compact fluorescent light to achieve this. These lights can get expensive, but check there are some retrofit kits out there that will convert fluorescent to compact and the price is not too bad.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
More research done with help of some other people so far I need a powerhead with at LEAST 100gph with 30lbs of live rock or so, regular strip light is adequate but brighter a T8 would be better. Don't need protein skimmer. O what else....? Sound good?

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
atmmachine816 said:
More research done with help of some other people so far I need a powerhead with at LEAST 100gph with 30lbs of live rock or so, regular strip light is adequate but brighter a T8 would be better.  Don't need protein skimmer.  O what else....?  Sound good?
30lbs of live rock is too much. the rule usually is 1.29lbs. of rock per gallon. So you should get about 10-13lbs. of rock for the tank. Be carefull about 100gph for a 10gal tank. depending on what else you are puting in the tank ie soft coral or mushrooms they do not like high current.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok this is what I need to know, as this is what I have read as basic rules for nanos. So 13lbs. or so of live rock. Soft coral and mushrooms do they come on live rock or do you buy them separately.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
you buy them seperatly they come in many verities and colors. They tend to like slower moving currents look around 4-5 times the tank size in water flow.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard Corals can live in a stronger current, but then you will need a different light setup, anda proteinscimmer. It is a bit much for a 10gal tank

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Soft corals attach to LR right? same with mushrooms, any other plants that I could get?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I might be getting a 55 gallon now it's sweet if i could, gota convince my dad.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nevermind my mom thinks it's huge and won't let me explain it's not that big. She wo'nt let me talk to her about it but she says i can get a 10 though i'm goning to try and get a 20 long.

DreamCatcher1987

Reaction score
well if this is anything, i had a black yellowtail damsel in a 5 gallon for over 8 years and he did just fine, he has been given to a friend of mine who has him in a 10 gal now, but he did great in the tank

occlown426

Reaction score
Hate to say it but your mom is right. The 55 would be better for a beginner because the fluctuations aren't so bad. I was considering the 55 and even a 90 myself but the cost was at the least $1200 not including live rock saltwater fish etc. This isn't a cheap hobby to get into, you need to make sure your parents know about this. A crashed tank is expensive to repleace. But who knows you may rock at it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom