10 gallon tank

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey this is more for Mike but I would like to make a 10 gallon SW tank. Is this possible and how much would it cost. Also do you think I could more or less just stock it with invertebrates like shrimp, crabs, snails and maybe one small fish.

Thanks

Austin

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SW fish aren't like FW fish and the same rules don't apply since they are a lot more sensitive to water quality that's why large SW tanks don't have tons of fish in them like FW tanks

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i would definately not reccomend a 10 gallon tank... usually saltwater minimum is 29G but if your set on doing it you might be able to get away with it...

i woudl definately not recommend getting sea horses because from what i hear they are HELLA hard to take care of.

the other problem is you might run into trouble getting supplies for such a small SW tank...

Cost is dependent on the type of setup you want

The 3 types ive heard of most are fish only, fish only w/ live rock, reef. Reefs are expensive because the lighting necessary is very intense. if you want liverock the liverock for a 10gallon would be about $50. If you wanted fish/inverts only you could go cheaper. The sand could be expensive and depending on the type of filtration you use it could get very high priced... the prices for equipment vary so much... on the 125 im working on settin up i have seen price ranges from $5,000 to 1400$ to get all of the equipment to set it up... there is so much variance you really cant set a price... look around but i reccomend going bigger if you want SW

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
on second thought you could do a 10 if you are really dedicated to it... but know what you are getting into the smaller the harder...

look at this amazing 12 gallon... i had no idea how pretty such a small tank could be

Thats one Farking pretty tank... O_O i could stare at it for hours

OMG i found a 7 gallon thats hella tight look at this!!!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well its the biggest I can get and I am doing my research and as long as I can convince my parents onletting me giet it I am getting one. some way or another

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
lol... that seems kinda small for the sake of small... I would reccomend getting a larger one if you can or possibly putting it off until you can... you wil be SOOO limited in what you can put in it if you use a 10G tank but if you are determined its very possible and pretty expensive.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well if I waited that would be until I got my own place and I have moved out of the house=8+years so I think if I can get 10 I will.

Austin

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ouch...

darn well if you want to do the 10 ive been researchin for a while and its definately possible... GL but you wont be able to keep many if any fish... there are some cool inverts though... what do you like more? cool shapes? big? or colorful? what type of fish / inverts do you like?

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd be pretty limited. You'd have to go with the hardy but small fish and that severely limits you. Since it's a 10gal it would fluctuate ALOT in comparison to a normal sized or bigger tank.

Benjamin

Reaction score
atmmachine816 said:
Hey, thanks for the complement. I didn't know about this site until I looked at my website logs and found the link from here. That tank ended up being up and running for about six months before I had to take it down. I switched jobs and had to remove it rather quickly. I ended up cracking the bottom somehow during the move and have not gotten around to drilling a new tank yet. While the 2.5 gallon display area is small, I wanted something that would not be overpowering in size relative to everything else in my office, and, my bosses being bi-polar on a good day, I wanted something I could move quickly in the event I needed to. I also didn't want to maintain it over long weekends or on vacation, so it was another reason to not have any fish in it.

Right now I am working on a 1.25 gallon nano cube. You are right, it is small just for the sake of being small. It is not at all less maintenance, just about the same as larger tanks, but fun to do for maybe one or two corals. I am planning to light it with high power LED's. I have already built the power supply and controller and will hopefully get some time this week to mount the lights to the PC board and give it all a try. I will keep you posted.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 10 saltwater tank is definitely possible but, like others have already mentioned, can be more work than a larger tank.  You'll need to test the water parameters on a regular basis and plan on more water changes

Just some guestimates:

10 gallon tank - $30
Powerhead - $20
Live Rock - $50 - $75
Protein Skimmer - $70 - $100
Power filter - $20
Hood and Light - $30
The tank is going to one of the less expensive purchases. You could spend $30 bucks more and get a 30 gallon.

This type of tank would only be able to have a very small fish and a couple of invertebrates.  Definitely no corals, unless you upgrade to power compacts or higher.

Benjamin - great lookin tank.

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've read you can turn a biorb into a marine tank...
I'm rather tempted but worry about whether it's gonna be really hard work? I do a lot on my tanks already so I dont mind the extra work and I'm closing down a little freshwater tropical but I dont know much about salt water etc
Any opinions would be appreciated!

miss Mouse

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A Bio-orb is about eight gallons right? and enclosed?, Sooo... where would you put all that equipment?
Carol

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good point butterfly - You wouldn't be able to use the skimmer and powerhead in the biorb, so I wouldn't use one for a saltwater setup.

flameangelfan

Reaction score
Hey all, wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have been doing SW for a long time, but am realtively new to FW. Nano-Reefs are kind of my specialty. So I wanted to give you my top 5 pieces of advice for a Nano SW tank.
1) OVERFILTER - My prized tank was a 15 gal with a 30 gal Bio-Wheel filter, 50 gal. protien skimmer, and 18 lbs live rock.
2) CHANGE THE WATER! - I changed 25% of the water every 7 days and had a 5 gal. bucket of mixed SW that was at least 5 days old.
3) LIVE ROCK ROCKS - Sacrifice as much space as you are willing to stock live rock. Remember, you can always take some out, but introducing more WILL mess with your nitrogen cycle.
4) BE EXTREMELY CHOOSY WITH FISH SELECTION - Every fish you put in the tank will affect your choices later. Knowing your choices ahead of time will save you time and money.
5) MOVE SLOW - Everything you wait for in FW, wait twice as long for in SW.

So, thats my advice... let us know how everything goes!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm back to considering this idea again so all the help is appreciated, I'm planning well in advance so when I do a trip to lfs in two months I can see if I can find all the equipment I need.

First thing, I need a ten gallon tank and hood. Can I use a regular light bulb or what do I need?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom