10 Gallon Tank

1. plug

plug Well Known Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank that has had some snails in it, and I used it as a MED/Quarantine Tank
    I have another 10 gallon that I can use as a Med/QT tank

So this 10 gallon has gravel, some fake plants, and is ready to go as I have a filter and can add more media from one of my other tanks

I am thinking of trying some cherry shrimp, but know nothing about them

Is 10 gallon tank ok for them? Can they live in a tank without real plants? What food do they eat?
    And finally, are they easy to care for?

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

Very easy to care for; a ten gallon is perfect! They'll breed until the tank is stocked.

3. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

A 10g would be just fine! :D

Cherry Shrimp are omnivorous, they eat algae, blanched vegetable and some meaty foods.. Algae is their natural food source. Blanched vegetables make an excellent food for Red Cherry Shrimp. Vegetables such as Zucchini, Lettuce, Spinach, and Carrots are commonly used. Prep these vegetables by placing them in boiling water until they are soft, 2-3 minutes for leafy vegetables and longer for carrots and zucchini. Small amounts of each should be fed at a time and make sure never to leave rotting food in the aquarium.

4. OP
    OP
    plug

So do I need real plants?, as I really do not want real plants in there as it is low light
    Also, what food do they eat?

Will shrimp pellets be good for them, or algae wafers?

5. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Nope, you don't need real plants, and algae wafers should do just fine :)

6. OP
    OP
    plug

Sounds like a plan..I am excited...I may just pick some up, and if they started reproducing I can always move them to my other tanks...but I am thinking my small Tiger Barbs in my Barb tank may eat them, as will my Black Skirt Tetras in other tank

so what happens when the tank gets overrun?

7. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

I'm curious about the same thing-- what does one do when there are too many? Eat some? :)

Not to hijack the post, but was also reading about cherry shrimp and it says that you should use a sponge filter so as not to kill the baby shrimp. Is this true? Maybe a power filter would then help control overpopulation by sucking up the babies?

8. OP
    OP
    plug

I heard about the filter issue as well
    I have a Tetra Whisper for that tank, so I may put a sponge around the intake to prevent the babies (if any are born) from being sucked up)

If all goes well, I may just drop extras in my large tank and see if they survive...or that may be cruel

9. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Once they're happy in the tank they'll breed, like rabbits, til it reaches capacity. They don't breed in poor quality water....so high bioload slows em. Intake cover is important. The babies are soooooooo tiny, you cant really see them well. You'll need to cover the siphon during wc as well with a nylon, etc. Neo shrimp are.lots of fun:)