10 Gallon Tank Water Change Questions

1. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBetta Well Known Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank with a male betta and two nerite snails. 10 days ago I did a 50-60% water change. I usually do this every week on the same day, but it totally slipped my mind until now. Today I went to do a water change but I noticed the tube of my siphon has mold growing inside of it. I am putting in an order on Amazon prime right now for a python water changer to make water changes less messy. My question is, how should I go about doing a water change today? I dont really qant to take any chances wjth the mold getting in the aquarium water, as I imagine this isn't good for the fish. Should I just wait until the Python is delivered on Friday? Or should I do a water change using some of the Tupperware we have at my house? I don't really want to put off the water change, but we don't have anything tupperware or cups in the house that hasn't been cleaned using soap. So I worry about soap residue hurting the fish. Should I go to a pet store/fish store and just buy a new cheap siphon today?
    Thank you, and sorry this post is so long!

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

You can cheat lol, take a piece of the tubing with you for measurement purposes, and go to a hardware store, 9/10, they have the same plastic tubing usually on these giant spools. Find the one with the same tube diameter and ask them to cut you a length; its a lot cheaper too

Edit: I misread about the tubing, but principle still applies...you can use the plastic tubes they have at the hardware store for a quick fix :) Basically a long siphon lol

3. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Your tank should be fine. The bioload isn't high enough to be worried

4. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Thank you! :) The thing is, there any be mold in the siphon itself. I am not sure. I feel like getting rid of it would be the best idea.

Thank you! :)

5. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

A Python for a 10 gallon sounds like massive overkill haha...you'll be doing water changes in like 2 minutes it'll be great

You'll definitely still run the risk of growing mold/mildew inside the Python, and since it's so long you might actually have more trouble cleaning it than you would your normal siphon.

6. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Lol yea, it would be overkill, but then I wouldn't be making such a mess. Do you think my tank can wait for a water change until Friday when I have the Python?

7. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

you can do a DIY python in the meantime or you can use a turkey blaster to suck up poop and a cup to remove water

8. Dtown7

Dtown7 Initiate Member

Sorry to go off track.. how does the python work?

9. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

it basically a tube with a fat end that goes in the tank and a next end that runs to the sink or drain. You put the fat end to the bottom of the aquarium and suck out poo and water and stuff...sometimes it has a squeezing thing so you dont have to start it with your mouth

10. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

I'd say you can probably hold off. As others have said you have an extremely low bioload in your tank. If you want to be sure instead of playing guesswork though test your water parameters. That should give you the best indication of whether or not your tank needs to be cleaned.