10 Gallon Tank Stocking

1. Olivia67

Olivia67 Valued Member Member

I'm getting a new 10 gallon tank, and want some advice on how to stock it. I already have 1 female Betta whom I'm putting in there. I want to know what other kinds of fish I could put in there? I also want to cover most of the floor in love plants, and I'll purchase a heater and filter large enough to accommodate the tank. I'm already planning a school of 4-6 tetras, but don't know what else? Maybe some snails, school fish or shrimp. Thank you! [​IMG]

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Unfortunately a 10 gal tank isn't large enough to house a betta and other fish - a 20 gal long minimum for a betta with community fish.

What about adding inverts?

3. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

And that betta looks a little bloated? Try a pea, Epsom salt or daphnia.
    ~Mudkipz

4. OP
    OP
    Olivia67

I took this as a live picture on my iPhone, and this is her mid-weird-turn. It's just the angle she's at and the lighting :) she's not bloated :)

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

I agree that the tank size would be too small to house other fish with the betta safely.

Also, is that another fish below the betta?

6. OP
    OP
    Olivia67

Yes. That's actually a funny story- my sister, who's 8, doesn't understand the concept of the temperatures needed to house certain fish. She took her goldfish from the 5 gallon he was in and put him in my Bettas 3 gallon. After I tried to remove the fish, she just asked if I'd take some pictures of them being "best friends" before I removed him, so I snapped a few, then set him back into his tank :) we then had a long talk about how only I move the fish, and they need to stay in their designated tanks :)

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That's good he didn't stay in the betta's tank, but a 5 gal is much too small for a goldfish :(

8. OP
    OP
    Olivia67

Yes! I've actually made a deal with my neighbor. I realized that the tank I had was much too small for one goldfish, let alone the two I have (Gizmo and Gilly:)) so, she has a 50 gal that is near empty now, and we're going to move them to that one. It's a great idea, because they're like family, and we're constantly over there and will be able to see them as we please, plus her children will have new fish to admire :) she has 2 50 gal, one heated and one not.