10 gallon tank stocking suggestions?

Ladyy

I have an unused 10 Gallon tank i was thinking of cleaning up and setting up.. Any ideas on a fun array of small fish for 10g?

IzabelB

A species tank? I think around 6 harlequin rasboras would look cool. Or 10 chili rasboras.

If not a species tank you could throw in some shrimp too and call it good

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

I have an unused 10 Gallon tank i was thinking of cleaning up and setting up.. Any ideas on a fun array of small fish for 10g?
Hey! You have on your profile that you don’t understand the nitrogen cycle. I just wanted to recommend that you fully cycle the tank prior to adding any critters.

You could do like 12-15 Chili rasbora or some other micro schooling fish and a group of like 4-5 Corys.

Upvote 0

Ladyy

I do now.. I need to change that.. Haha.. I have a 29 gallon planted completely cycled and good tank.. Lol 2 3 gallon bettas and 2 5 gallon bettas lol.. I learned fast.. And forgot to change it...

I appreciate both suggestions.. I wanted to set it up with something attractive that wouldnt be too much for a small tank.. Though im learning well. Im still quite new and dont wanna make a wrong move lol

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Here’s some suggestions off the top of my head
Shrimp tank
Pea puffers
Micro school of chili rasboras or ember tetras
Thai micro crabs
Betta and ember tetras or chili rasboras

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

I do now.. I need to change that.. Haha.. I have a 29 gallon planted completely cycled and good tank.. Lol 2 3 gallon bettas and 2 5 gallon bettas lol.. I learned fast.. And forgot to change it...

I appreciate both suggestions.. I wanted to set it up with something attractive that wouldnt be too much for a small tank.. Though im learning well. Im still quite new and dont wanna make a wrong move lol
You could probably even get away with like 5 cherry shrimp and 15-20 chili rasbora if you plant it which would look really cool. Both of those produce very small amounts of waste and look great with plants.

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Awesome ideas from everyone.. Thanks so much.. I have to let the tank cycle for a few soo nowww its gonna be hard for me to choose lol i dont have much experience with shrimp but that sounds like a great idea..

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Pea puffers would be a cool option. You could also do CPDs or even try your hand at mexican dwarf crayfish. Beckford's pencilfish are another fun and interesting option. I'm currently cycling a species-only 10g for one of the above ideas myself lol

Upvote 0

Ladyy

All these ideas are gonna make me be so indecisive lol

Upvote 0

betta06

yes I agree pea puffers are super cool! I was planning on getting one but now don't have the tank space... but they would definitely do well in a 10 gallon and you could probable have 3 but they can be a bit aggressive sometimes.

Upvote 0

Ladyy

I am loving all these ideas

Upvote 0

JtheFishMan

Any small gouramis, bettas, guppies, and/or tetras can work great in a freshwater 10 gallon. If you are thinking about saltwater, a pair of clownfish or certain types of gobies work fine as well.

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Ive never started a saltwater tank.. Lol so im gonna hold off on that until i can learn more..

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

What about green neon rasboras. They look pretty cool IMO. Another really cool one is Indostomus although I think they are more advanced in terms of care

Upvote 0

JtheFishMan

Ive never started a saltwater tank.. Lol so im gonna hold off on that until i can learn more..
In my opinion, it is not that difficult to take care of nano saltwater tanks. It does take a bit of commitment and planning, but it is not a HUGE LIFECHANGING task, lol. I just began my first saltwater tank about a month and a half ago, it's only a 10 gallon, and it is very fulfilling.

Quote this message and feel free to me ask any questions.

Upvote 0

Ladyy

What would be involved in making my 1p gallon saltwater.. And the budget lol

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I am loving all these ideas

There are a surprising amount of cool options with a 10g tank, a lot more than I knew about when I started! the kubotai rasboras (neon green rasboras) mentioned above are really cool too

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Im gonna have to look at all these fish.. Some I haven't heard of before lol

Upvote 0

betta06

Im gonna have to look at all these fish.. Some I haven't heard of before lol
once you decide I would love to know what you pick! there are so many great suggestions here.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Oh I forgot to add freshwater pom Pom crabs are really cool to set up a tank for

Upvote 0

Ladyy

I really like the rasboras that have been said.. They are very pretty

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

Five GloFish (TM) tetras?

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Oh I forgot to add freshwater pom Pom crabs are really cool to set up a tank for
I can put in CRABS..

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

oh yea, one of the aquatic crabs would be really cool too for sure. Some ideas that haven't been mentioned yet are peacock gudgeons or american flag fish

Upvote 0

Ladyy

I would not have thought of crabs lol shows how much i still have to learn

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I can put in CRABS..
Yeah there are some cool freshwater species of crabs like Thai micro crabs, Pom Pom crabs that are fully aquatic but there are some that need land but are even cooler like thai devil crabs and all the variety of vampire crabs

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Im loving the tetra ideas.. And the rasboras. Well i love alot of these ideas..now im not sure which way to go lol

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

It might be interesting to try freshwater crabs. They usually need some space out of water to chill out, so it would be pretty distinct from just an all-water 10g.

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Would the crabs not be able to be with fish.. I realize how dumb that is.. Lol
It might be interesting to try freshwater crabs. They usually need some space out of water to chill out, so it would be pretty distinct from just an all-water 10g.
I suppose it would be.. I have never thought of having them lol

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Would the crabs not be able to be with fish.. I realize how dumb that is.. Lol

The thai micro crabs and pom pom crabs are peaceful not a dumb question at all lol

Upvote 0

Ladyy

The thai micro crabs and pom pom crabs are peaceful not a dumb question at all lol
I was totally pictures tiny crabs pinching my fish lol so yea alittle dumb haha

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I was totally pictures tiny crabs pinching my fish lol so yea alittle dumb haha
Yep like mentioned Pom Pom crabs and Thai micros won’t attack your fish but they stay pretty small so if you have bigger fish the fish could eat them. And another suggestion is African dwarf frogs (sorry for overwhelming you lol)

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Yep like mentioned Pom Pom crabs and Thai micros won’t attack your fish but they stay pretty small so if you have bigger fish the fish could eat them. And another suggestion is African dwarf frogs (sorry for overwhelming you lol)
So i could have rasboras and crabs.. In a planted tank lol i will never be able to make a decision lol

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

So i could have rasboras and crabs.. In a planted tank lol i will never be able to make a decision lol
Yeah you could do 8 small species of rasboras like the ones we mentioned above and some crabs (not sure how much but you could get away with like 10 because they have barely any bioload)

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Yeah you could do 8 small species of rasboras like the ones we mentioned above and some crabs (not sure how much but you could get away with like 10 because they have barely any bioload)
Welllll now that's an idea.. Lol i like the rasboras i have seen mentioned..

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Just to clarify because I worded it weird in my post I meant 8 of one of the species of rasboras not 8 species of them

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

I probably would just do one or two pom poms, I think they can get territorial with each other

but you could do 10 kubotai rasboras, 1-2 pom pom crabs, and some cool snails as a general idea

Upvote 0

Ladyy

Just to clarify because I worded it weird in my post I meant 8 of one of the species of rasboras not 8 species of them
So could i get 4 of one and 4 of the other lol

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sauceboat
  • Question