10 Gallon tank Stocking Question Question

1. fanutd100 Member Member

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Sounds like you are planning a very manageable tank. You've got a lot of GPH for a relatively small tank, but I have about 200 GPH on my 15 gallon, so I can relate. I think you will have a very happy invertebrate tank.

3. fanutd100 Member Member

Thanks for advice. Are the shrimps in your tank okay with 13.34x turnover? Do they breed normally?

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Here is an image of my Red Cherry Shrimp "tank". It is, literally, a cement mixing tray with a DIY biological filter. I added some left over substrate and java moss to it. I also rigged up a tank light I'm not using, to give them a sense of night/day cycle. They are growing and breeding like rabbits. They have such an insignificant bioload that you honestly should not worry about filtration, so long as you are using something to circulate the water and house beneficial bacteria (e.g. my DIY bio filter). I still do weekly water changes of 15-20% Be sure to have a pre-filter sponge on any intakes you have so the little shrimp fry are not sucked up. Also, a dark substrate will cause the shrimp to display a deeper red (as they try to match their surroundings). This is one of the reasons I think my black tray makes for such a good RCS tank. Lighter substrates may sometimes make a RCS appear washed out. Not a significant difference, but thought you might be interested to know.

[​IMG]