10 gallon tank stocking ideas

1. mga1603

mga1603 Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hello! I'm very new to fish keeping and i currently am looking to stock my new ten gallon tank. it is not yet cycled, as it's been set up for less than a week. I ordered a little colorful cave, 6 tall plants, and a pink little castle to put in the tank along with some colorful gravel. so, now is when I need to start thinking about the fish I want to stock my tank with. I absolutely LOVE all the different types of platies, so I was very interested in getting 3 male platies for my tank. (I want to avoid fry) is this okay? will they get aggressive with each other? thanks for the help!

2. BellatheBetta

BellatheBetta Member Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Until your tank is fully cycled add nothing. Once your parameteres are good (Ammonia-0 Nitrites-0 Nitrates- under 20ppm) then gradually add your fish. 3 platies would be fine yes but keep them all male or else you will be over run with fry in no time! In a 10 gallon your options are pretty limited but you could add a small group (6/8) of pygmy cories (Corydoras Pygmaeus). I have a bunch of them and love them to bits.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +3,721
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think pygmy corys should be in a 10 gallon tank. And wouldn't 6 corys and 3 platies be overstocked?

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +3,721
    Yeah, pygmy cories are not suitable for a 10g.

6. BellatheBetta

Ratings:
    +8
    Hmmm... I think that it is debatable. When looking into getting some I saw that most websites said that 10 gallons would be ok. If he was willing to keep up with water changes then he would manage just fine with 6 pygmy cories and 3 platies IMO becuase it is not properly overstocked.

7. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I've always read that Cories like their space, a 10g doesn't give them a whole lot of exploring room IMO.

8. BellatheBetta

Ratings:
    +8
    True. Mine seemed perfectly happy in their 10G though but may have benefitted from extra space, I don't know. However they seemed very happy and healthy.

9. Beretta

Beretta Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Micro fish work best in 10 gallons. Lots to choose from and you could have a descent size school too.

10. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +429
    Are you interested in schooling/ shoaling fish as well?