10 gallon tank stocking ideas

1. mga1603 Initiate Member

hello! I'm very new to fish keeping and i currently am looking to stock my new ten gallon tank. it is not yet cycled, as it's been set up for less than a week. I ordered a little colorful cave, 6 tall plants, and a pink little castle to put in the tank along with some colorful gravel. so, now is when I need to start thinking about the fish I want to stock my tank with. I absolutely LOVE all the different types of platies, so I was very interested in getting 3 male platies for my tank. (I want to avoid fry) is this okay? will they get aggressive with each other? thanks for the help!

2. BellatheBetta Member Member

Until your tank is fully cycled add nothing. Once your parameteres are good (Ammonia-0 Nitrites-0 Nitrates- under 20ppm) then gradually add your fish. 3 platies would be fine yes but keep them all male or else you will be over run with fry in no time! In a 10 gallon your options are pretty limited but you could add a small group (6/8) of pygmy cories (Corydoras Pygmaeus). I have a bunch of them and love them to bits.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. Daniel W Member Member

I don't think pygmy corys should be in a 10 gallon tank. And wouldn't 6 corys and 3 platies be overstocked?

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, pygmy cories are not suitable for a 10g.

6. BellatheBetta Member Member

Hmmm... I think that it is debatable. When looking into getting some I saw that most websites said that 10 gallons would be ok. If he was willing to keep up with water changes then he would manage just fine with 6 pygmy cories and 3 platies IMO becuase it is not properly overstocked.

7. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I've always read that Cories like their space, a 10g doesn't give them a whole lot of exploring room IMO.

8. BellatheBetta Member Member

True. Mine seemed perfectly happy in their 10G though but may have benefitted from extra space, I don't know. However they seemed very happy and healthy.

9. Beretta Initiate Member

Micro fish work best in 10 gallons. Lots to choose from and you could have a descent size school too.

10. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Are you interested in schooling/ shoaling fish as well?