10 Gallon Tank Heater? Question 

Candace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I need a good heater for 10 gallon that can keep a steady 81-82 degrees Fahrenheit. Currently have one that keeps it at 77.4f but will need to raise the temperature to prepare for Ember Tetras.
I have been looking through Amazon for a couple hours and the reviews are keeping me from making a decision and I'm at my wits end lol.
Amazon reviews are driving me crazy :banghead:

TWiG87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feel like there have been a lot of threads about heaters lately. I run an Eheim Jager in my 20 gallon. I have it set to 78, and the thermometer always says my tank is 78. It seems very consistent. I think I’ll stick with these for awhile

Sanderguy777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have an 150w Eheim. I think a 100w would be a good choice as it may be better quality than the lower watt models, and the extra power will help it work less. (In other words, it is a good heater, but will run longer since it is better built and more powerful

The other one I have is a 300w fluval (m series I think)
It is good too it has a mirror finish so it "blends in" according to the marketing...

Both are good.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From my understanding, Ember tetras are very happy at 77/78. 81-82 is on their higher end. Any reason you want to raise it?

Sanderguy777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both heaters work on 60 gallon tanks, but no heater I've ever had tells the right temp.

Even if the heater is right, it is only displaying the temp beside it. Not the temp of the tank 2 or 3 feet away.

Candace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SM1199 said:
From my understanding, Ember tetras are very happy at 77/78. 81-82 is on their higher end. Any reason you want to raise it?
Id like to raise the temp for my betta. It can get quite cold in my room and I know bettas do best in 78-80 and I saw (online, which I know isnt always accurate) that ember tetras are good in the 73-84 range. Is that wrong for Embers?

Candace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sanderguy777 said:
Both heaters work on 60 gallon tanks, but no heater I've ever had tells the right temp.

Even if the heater is right, it is only displaying the temp beside it. Not the temp of the tank 2 or 3 feet away.
I have a digital thermometer set at the opposite corner (front and opposite) from the heater.

Sanderguy777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is perfect. Someone just said something about the heater being set at the same temp as what they wanted, so I just wanted make sure you didn't believe the heater alone.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Candace said:
Id like to raise the temp for my betta. It can get quite cold in my room and I know bettas do best in 78-80 and I saw (online, which I know isnt always accurate) that ember tetras are good in the 73-84 range. Is that wrong for Embers?
77/78 is a great temperature for a betta. Since bettas do best in 78/80, why would you want it at 81/82 instead of 77/78 where you have it now? Especially when you already have a heater that does exactly that?

Candace

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SM1199 said:
77/78 is a great temperature for a betta. Since bettas do best in 78/80, why would you want it at 81/82 instead of 77/78 where you have it now? Especially when you already have a heater that does exactly that?
I believe that a couple of degrees will make the difference and I plan on getting another tropical species next month. And I’m looking for one that I can control because they usually heat at less than they say they do. Even if I just kept it at 80 it will only benefit the fish I plan on getting and I like being able to have control of the temp.

Sanderguy777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Candace said:
I believe that a couple of degrees will make the difference and I plan on getting another tropical species next month. And I’m looking for one that I can control because they usually heat at less than they say they do. Even if I just kept it at 80 it will only benefit the fish I plan on getting and I like being able to have control of the temp.
Nothing wrong with that. Depending on your budget, Ehiem, or Fluval are good choices.
I think I had an Aqueon or Aqueon pro that was fine too.

I'd go online and look at reviews to see what people like, and what they think is wrong with it. I look at the 1 star reviews for patterns (like the seller is dishonest, or the temp control knob falls off every time a fish swims by).
If it is a good product, most of those reviews will be complaint about shipping or flukes. If it has a real issue, you'll see it there.
Then look at the 5 star to see what people like...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads