10 Gallon Tank Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by wibbylynn, Jun 26, 2018.

1. wibbylynn

wibbylynn Valued Member Member

I’m gathering things to put together my betta tank and I have some questions. Here is what I have and what I have ordered
    The tank, substrate and log:
    IMG_4302.JPG Image1530038456.478572.jpg IMG_4303.jpg
    The filter and lid:
    IMG_4305.jpg IMG_4304.jpg
    Heater:
    Image1530038633.954992.jpg

I also have a small air pump for the filter but I can’t find it at the moment. It powered a small air stone in my 2 gallon a long time ago, if that doesn’t work I’ll get a new pump.

So I want this tank to be planted, but I’ve never done live plants before. This is kind of going to be my tester before I start live plants on my 50 gallon. The issue is, I doubt this lid has the best lights, so I need some tips on best low light plants that will work in this substrate or glued to this log. Also what plants bettas will like best.

2. c

calsfish New Member Member

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

That light can grow most begginer plants. Anubias, java fern, java moss and maybe crypts. That’s what I have growing in my tank with the stock light.

4. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

Oh that’s a good idea! Thanks

6. bryangar

Here’s a side view of my tank. I use a similar light.

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

Well I just discovered a crack in my tank and it won’t hold water. So now I’m on the hunt for perhaps a 10 gallon tank and light hood.

8. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

So I tracked down a 10 gallon that has the same brand of lid I was going to buy! I’ll be getting it this weekend hopefully. I wanted a 10 gallon anyway

Will bettas like the little pot decoration? I don’t really like the other one but may use the pot one. As well as the log I originally planned for and live plants View attachment 450535

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  9. Goldiemom

You may need a larger heater. My heater that sz only goes to 76F. Bettas need to be at 78 to 80 F.

10. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

The girl who is selling it to me is including a bunch of stuff, I believe there was a heater. Let me find the picture

Here is the stuff she’s including. I’m going to be using a sponge filter not this HOB. But I think there’s (a few?) heaters in there IMG_4325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018
  11. Goldiemom

I just see one and it’s a pre-set heater too. Walmart has controlled ones cheap. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

12. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

After doing a lot of research I think the log I bought is way too rough for a betta and I spendtway too much money on it not to use it. So I’m thinking of changing my stock. Anyone have any experience with pea puffers and what they like in their tank? Or any other fun suggestions for a 10 gallon planted tank with sand substrate and kind of a rough decoration?

13. bryangar

I think @puffer boi has some pea puffers, maybe he can share some of his knowledge.

You can still do a betta, try sanding down the rough edges on the log. Or buy a betta with smaller fins like a plakat or female.

14. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

you could do pea puffers but there are a few things you need to know.
    • you could only get 2
    • they require a heavily planted tank
    • they need live food; snails, brine shrimp, blood worms, blackworms, ect.
    • no tank mates.
    if you have any question ask me
    :)

15. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

just an FYI but I had that substrate once and it was awful! They have this one that is more like a mix between gravel and sand that is much nicer!

16. Goldiemom

I have that sand and it’s fine in my tank. I just hate sand!

17. bryangar

Why?

18. Goldiemom

I have the black sand and it shows everything. Always stuff on it. I have it in 2 tanks but the 3 with gravel always look cleaner and are much easier to clean. That’s just my opinion but after having both, I personally prefer the gravel. Even if my sand was lighter, I don’t like the way it cleans. My Python sucks it up but it spits back out. Then I have to take a turkey baster and hand clean it all. A few hours later, it’s already dirty again. I clean on Sunday and touch up again on Wednesday’s. Here today’s shot on Friday.

Attached Files:

19. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

Aquarium co op has a great video on how to gravel vac that is super helpful and will probably help you with cleaning your sand! Just search it on YouTube, he’s great imo.

20. OP
    OP
    wibbylynn

I’m planning on only having 1 in the 10 gallon if that’s okay? I’ve read that they can get aggressive toward each other and I don’t have a backup tank in case that happens so I figured getting just one was more safe.

I am planning on planting the tank heavily and making sure everything is good before adding any fish at all, puffer or otherwise. I am a newbie at plants though and I know the LED lid I am getting isn’t great, so any advice on good low light plants or an additional light I could buy I would appreciate, as well as any plant suggestions at all.

What are your favorite brands of food for pea puffers? And how often/how much do you vary their diet?

Thanks so much for your help!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice