10 Gallon Tank Blog

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Started: 10/15/11
History: Bought the Aqueon basic 10 gallon kit from Petco, the guy said put the conditioner in and run it for a day then get fish. I did what he said, sadly.
First Fish: Albino Bristlenose Pleco, 3 Zebra Danios.
Next Day: Two dead Danios got stuck in the filter. Went to Petsmart for replacements
Next Batch: 2 Dwarf Gourami, 2 Platy (Pair)
Next Monday: 1 dead DG
Got live plants, moved the tank.
Learned about the nitrogen cycle and how badly i screwed up
2 Weeks later: Notice Platy fry. Net them and put them in the breeder net
Next Monday: DG dead. Rehome lonely Danio
Next Day: Put in tons of driftwood, continue with daily water changes and dosing with Prime to keep the fish safe. Let fry run free in the tank, they hid in the rocks and plants

I will update this thread as I allow these fish to grow then move them to the 50g probably in a month.

JillsFish91

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had similar trouble in the beginning. It's all new for a while and can be over whelming. I currently have two small apparently "over populated tanks" but they are both doing great. One tank has three red tailed black sharks and a half dozen shrimp. has been set up for about 3 weeks. Went through many dead fish before that tank cycled and came full circle. and My other tank have over 10 fish and like I said they are both only 1.5 gallons.

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
11/7- moved all of the stock except a lone fry to my 20G. Acclimated them because the water was a bit colder than in the 10G. They all took off happily, enjoying the swim space

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can take some tomorrow morning. It's pretty barren in there right now because I'd like to buy sand as a substrate when I get paid. All that's in the 20 are fish rocks and driftwood. Lol. But yes, I'll snap a few tomorrow

Brainlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, most of us can relate to wondering why our little friends keep dying..... it is so sad that LFS's don't tell people about the Nitrogen Cycle... almost cruel really.
Looking forward to pictures!!

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pictures are in the 20 Gallon thread I just made in my blog.

As of today the 10 is being completely redone. There's little to no gravel an I'm running a brand new filter on it. Looking to cycle it the right way. And the long way lol. Then I may add something to it or make it just a heavily planted tank with ghost shrimp everywhere

Brainlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ghosties or RCS are great fun, I feed them crushed Ramshorn snails and it is hilarious watching them scurry away with their 'treat'!! I am going to look at your photos now.
Denise

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As some know, I decided to make the 10 a native tank from the creek near my house. A TON of baby pond snails hitched a ride on the chunk of moss I took o.o
Lol so the snails pretty much own that tank until I can catch a few minnows from the creek. Fishing! Lol. I'll probably do that tomorrow

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got the "minnows" in the tank today. Turns out they are mosquito fish lol

9 of them. Acclimated in a water bottle. Every 10 minutes I took out some of the water in the bottle and put in tank water till I felt they were okay

I also added in about 35 pounds of rocks from the creek. Talk about a heavy load lol. Two leech wormy things came in the rocks. They look like a leech when they're still them they stretch out and swim around like snakes o.o

I pulled up some plants from the creek bed. They were pretty much just planted in rocks so I wedged the roots between rocks in the tank. Hopefully that works, if not, I'll try potting them lol.

There's a few more snails, and a tadpole. Some bug larvae is also in there. And a normal pink worm got in there too. Lol so I pretty much have the creek in a tank. I have two filters rated for 10 gallons each running on that tank just to be sure. The rocks stirred up alot of dirt and made the water a bit cloudy. I'll try feeding them a small bit of flakes tomorrow. They seems fine, schooling like they did at the creek and like playing in the plants in quite happy with the setup. I "may" try to get more of these little guys. I'd like to hope I have some females so they can breed I'll get pics tomorrow.

Hopefully they stay away from one of the filter intakes. I only have one covered with a sponge. I'll get something to cover the other one tomorrow.

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They all survived the night here's the pics I promised

They seem afraid I the waterfall the filter makes when it's on so I'll raise the water level. They hide in the rocks lol

The moment I crushed flakes in there for them they swarmed I don't have to worry about them not eating.

I'm jut sad I wot be able to keep a close eye in them over Thanksgiving break :/ I have a teacher coming in to feed them every day. Hopefully they'll be okay

Attachments

maestroDAWG

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Uhh... Lol, you might want to watch out, because the "leech wormy things" are most likely real, live leeches...

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lol yea after I saw the leechies, I was like "yea I'm not putting my hands in there anymore" ;D

Maybe that'll keep the kids from putting their hands in the tank >

Makena95'GT

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll murder them tomorrow

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom