10 Gallon Tank - Any Stocking Ideas?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Cheesewoman, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Cheesewoman

Cheesewoman Valued Member Member

Hey Guys,

I have a 10 gallon tank that is taking forever to cycle fully (or just having ammonia issues, but whatever), so I removed all of my corys and assassin snail out of there and into a more stable tank.

They're all doing so great in the other tank now that I kinda feel like once the water params are settled I'd like to get something different in there now... why not? ;)

So any ideas on stocking a 10 gallon planted tank?

I currently have in my other tanks:

- 6 cherry barbs
    - 3 albino corydoras
    - 3 pepper corydoras
    - 2 female gourami
    - 4 otocinclus
    - 1 assassin snail
    - 5 amano shrimp
    - 1 male betta (named Mr Bubbles, he has his own tank, so touchy lol)

I don't really want the same again, and I don't really like schooling fish like tetra or harlequins as I find them a little....:yawn:

So... any ideas? :)

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

In my ten gallon, I have 4 male guppies and 3 endlers. It makes for a vibrant active tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Cheesewoman

oh yes I do like endlers, less keen on guppies though... everyone seems to have them. Maybe an endler/shrimp tank would be nice, with some cherries

4. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Yeah, if you are going to do shrimp, don't do guppies. They picked at my snail.

You could do 7-8 endlers and shrimp, just make sure the tank is planted or has a lot of hiding spaces.

5. OP
    OP
    Cheesewoman

thanks for the warning - it has lots of little caves and plants to hide in/around so I think it should be ok, but yeah maybe I'll steer away from guppies... :)

6. AJE

AJE Well Known Member Member

Neocardina shrimp or if you like expensive challenges 2 pea puffer

7. OP
    OP
    Cheesewoman

*sees puffer and starts screaming* I WANT A PUFFER! but I was under the impression that they require brackish water?

8. AJE

There are a few species that are strictly fresh water. Freshwater Pufferfish Species The dwarf is adorable and small

The only reason I don’t have them is the require you to have a separate snail tank:(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018
  9. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

For a 10G there's lots of great nano species.

I really love micro rasboras, shrimp, peaceful bettas, pygmy cories, sparkling gourami (SOOOOOO pretty and so peaceful), wild betta breeds, snails, endlers, guppies, shellie cichlids.....

As my name says all I keep is smaller tanks (I'm currently building a 15G and this is going to be my 'Big Tank' for my home office). I'm super fortunate where I live I have 1 boutique fish store that specifically specializes in nano aquarium breeds and another fish store that's fish room is LITERALLY 2 warehouses big and imports absolutely EVERYTHING.

10. AJE

If you aren’t up to the challenge of breeding snails. I would do a shrimp and betta tank. Or did you say you didn’t want a betta?

Or a single crawfish those guys are evil

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2018
  11. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

How about African dwarf frogs? You could probably do at least 2 to 5 in a 10 gallon!!:)

12. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, pea puffers don't require a snail colony like other puffers as their beaks don't actually grow, so there is no need to keep them down with shells. They do reaquire live food in bascially every case, so you would have to have live bloodworms or blackworms. There's a nice 10 gallons stocking thread in the stocking section if you want to check it out. There's some very interesting fish, like the Asian stone catfish.

13. AJE

I didn’t know that, I thought they did, I still wouldn’t be able to get one though, they should make them to take flakes

14. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

It's pretty hard to get a wild caught fish to take flakes... I know a very small number have gotten some to take pellets, but only after several months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice