10 Gallon Stocking

1. Ed204

Ed204 Fishlore VIP Member

So I plan to re-do my 10 gallon tank and here's he stocking I have in mind.

Stocking List:
    6-8x Ember Tetra
    1-2x Platy
    3-5x Nerite Snail

Instead of Nerite Snails do you guys have any other Bottom dwellers in mind? Maybe some Otos or Pygmy Cories?

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Pygmy Cories and Otos need a larger tank. In my opinion, guppies would be better suited than platies. Nerite Snails also need a large supply of food (algae is preferred). I would do 2-3 Mystery Snails or 1-2 Nerites.

3. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Pygmy cories dont really touch algae, ottos require 20 gal+ I reccomend amano shrimp for algae, tetras are active and therefore would require 15 gal+, I would advise 5 platys, 2 amano shrimp and a nerite snail, you could also add pygmy cories too as long as you plant your tank

Mystery snails are destructive, if your tank is mature it could support a nerite as did mine, but I dont recommend a nerites in a new tank

4. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Would my Ember Tetra and Platy plan work out? @BottomDweller said that 8 Ember Tetras and a platy would be fine

Alright, so what Bottom dweller should I get?

Other than a shrimp?

5. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Ember tetras would be fine in a 10g and platies need 20g+ because of their activity and bio load. You could do
    8 Ember Tetras or Celestrial Pearl Danios
    5 Amano Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails

6. Tyler Fishman

Likely that many alage eaters would slowly kill each other off unless you were to supplemental feed, I do not recommend any nerite for a new tank

7. Katie13

Some of the smaller tetra species are great in a 10 gallon. Mystery Snails aren't at all destructive in my opinion. I'm in the process of breeding them. You can't keep 5 Platys in a 10.

8. n

nedpatrick Well Known Member Member

If you really want a bottom dweller I would suggest hara jerdoni. I personally would drop the platies if you really want a bottom dweller.

Edit: I agree that platies are perfectly fine in a 10 gallon

9. OP
    OP
    Ed204

As I mentioned above, @BottomDweller said Ember Tetras and 1 Platy would be fine

10. Katie13

That many algae eaters killing each other off is inaccurate.

11. OP
    OP
    Ed204

I'm not really interested in stone Catfish lol. Sorry, but any other ideas?

He meant they're going to die due to no Algae growth

What do I feed Nerite Snails?
    Will Algae Wafers do?

12. Katie13

My bad, but that's not what the wording says. Most give them a separate/additional food source anyway.

13. Kenny777

:D there is no possibility that those significant will ever happen they are rather peaceful and will not turn into carnivores and if the OP buys algae wafers they all will be fine :emoji_smile:

Yes Algae wafers are fine

14. Katie13

Algae wafers will work. They also need plenty of calcium to keep their shells healthy. My Mystery Snails get bottom feeder shrimp pellets. I roll them in finely crushed to powder egg shells.

15. Kenny777

How about this stock
    8 Ember Tetras
    2 Asian Stone Catfish
    2 Nerite Snails
    And Maybe 1 Platy but this stock would be best without the Platy but if you are in love with Platys you could squeeze the Platy in their

16. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright, How do I give them calcium in what form?

I might do that however, I'll have to find the stone Catfish first lol, Here in Indonesia we don't have that rare f fish.
    But I'll try to find them.

Also, are stone Catfish agressive?

17. Kenny777

No

18. Katie13

With stocking, I would say your best options would be

6 Ember Tetras
    2 Platys
    2 Nerite Snails

OR

8 Embers
    1 Platy
    1-2 Nerites

OR

10 Embers
    2 Nerites

Cuttlebone or eggshells are good options. Cuttlebone can be found in most places that sell birds. I can show you how I do mine if you'd like. I'm working on a new batch now.

19. Tyler Fishman

I mean starve eachother out, their is only so much algae in a 10 gallon

I dont belive nerites eat wafers, mine never did, try boiled zucchini

20. Katie13

They will more than likely eat wafers. You always have picky ones mixed in though.