10 Gallon Stocking

1. Ed204

Ed204 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have recently rescued 2 Dalmatian mollies who are at least 1-1.5 inches.
    I want to get a sunset platy or any platy to keep them company.

However, I only have a vacant 10 gallon which houses my male betta.
    When I first brought him home I put him in a breeder net for him to wait while I move the other fish, and he showed no agression at all to them.

My question is can I house the betta with the platy and the 2 mollies or am I better off just housing the moliies and Platies.

If I can't house the betta with them, will this stocking work?
    2x Baby Mollies
    2x Platies

Tank size is a 10 gallon by the way

2. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

So you have two 10 gallons, right? One with the mollies and one with the betta? I wouldn't try to have all of the fish in 1 tank, especially with a betta being one of them. I'd let him keep his 10 gallon to himself. That tank size is way too small for all those fish - I wouldn't even recommend keeping a betta and just one fish. Also the mollies need a 20 gallon minimum.

3. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

You could always try it, sometimes you will get lucky and your betta won't be aggressive towards other fish. He might see the sunset platy as a threat due it's vibrant colors, but they can be compatible. If you try it just keep an eye out for the betta being aggressive towards your other fish. 10 gallons is a good size so it might work. If not, get the better his own small tank, here: Top Fin® Aquaponics Embark 2.5 Gallon Desk Aquarium | fish Aquariums | PetSmart or here: http://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/top-fin-led-aquarium-starter-kit-36002.html?cgid=300207

He only has one tank which is the 10 gallon.

4. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Yes, that's right I have only one 10 gallon, the mollies are in a 5 gallon due to their small size at the moment.

Is it possible just to do the 2 mollies and 1 platy?

Also by the way, I live in Indonesia so Petsmart is not an option. However, I do have Ace Hardware which I did buy a 2.5 gallon tank which he wasn't previously housed in. Will that do?

Or should I just keep the Bettas and the mollies first in the future and see how it goes.

I have a breeder net so I can put the mollies in there first for an amount of time so that betta can get used to them.

@DoubleDutch What do you think?

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Hey Ed,

I am not a Betta-expert. Far from that !!!
    Not a fan of 10G tanks + livebearers hahaha.

So any advice of me would be rubbish.

6. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Hahaha, Totally fine. But I appreciate the response.

How about you @Anders247 ?

7. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

I have a 17g, and when I got a Molly on the advice of the SA, everybody here was aghast at me putting it into such a small tank. I later read up online, and it does say a Molly needs a 30g. I returned it after that. Molly maybe small when you get it, but it Will grow a lot.

8. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Honestly I'm pretty sure a 17 gallon is fine for ONE molly.

What other fish did you have in the tank with it?

9. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

3 platies

10. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Mollies need 29 gallons minimum. 10 gallons is much too small. I would leave the betta in the 10 gallon alone and get a 30 gallon for the mollies and platies.

11. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

For just the betta, the 2.5 will be okay for him.

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd just do the mollies and platies for now. When the mollies get about 2 inches rehome them.

13. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright,
    So the betta in the 2.5 gallon and the baby mollies and Platy in the 10 gallon?
    Once their rehomed may I get more Platies. I'll make sure they'll all male, I know my livebearer rule :p

Is it possible to just have one molly and one platy in the 10G?

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

No, a single molly need a 20g long minimum. They get 3-4 inches, if not larger.

15. R

I thought you had a 5 gallon? Why does the betta have to go in the 2.5 gallon?

16. OP
    OP
    Ed204

5 gallon is going to go my cousin in a week or two.

Alright, I guess. Do you recommend any other stockings for a 10 gallon? That doesn't involve a betta?

17. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

There's a whole 10 gallon stocking list on here, but here's a few ideas I like.
    6x CPD
    3x Endlers
    3x Amano shrimp
    or
    6x green neon tetras
    10x RCS (I suck at stocking shrimp, someone tell me if I'm wrong)
    1x nerite snail
    or
    4x Scarlet Badis (1 male, 3 females)
    Peacock gudgeons are a cool fish that work in a 10 gallon, too.

18. R

I believe neons need to be in a 20 gallon because of their activity level.

19. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Green neons are a smaller species suitable for nano tanks.

20. R

Ohh gotcha. Well cool!! I've been wanting neons but didn't want to get another big tank!