10 gallon stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MrTropics, Dec 26, 2012.

1. MrTropics

MrTropics Valued Member Member

Hey guys I haven't really ever been in the fresh water section before but more in the saltwater. I would like to know what my options are for a 10 gallon planted tank. I would perfer more colorful fish if possible. Not very experienced with freshwater fish at all so I need a little advice, but already know about filtration and such. Thanks for your time,
    Jayson

2. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

danios or 1 beta, I like zebra danios

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Imo danios are a bit too active for that size tank. I'd look into galaxy rasboras or maybe fancy guppies, some shrimp could also be included.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, danios are too big and too active. I wouldn't put a school of fish much larger than 1 inch in a 10 gallon tank. Nano fish.

I think there are some micro rasboras that would work, and maybe even celestial pearl danios. Not sure how big they get.

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, no danios. If you're looking for colorful, have you looked at endlers ye? They're very colorful and stay small, so you could have quite a few in there.

6. A

Are all danios really too big for a 10g tank?

7. Jaysee

Don't forget active.

CPDs would be the only ones I would consider. Aren't they rasboras anyway?

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Yellow fork tail rainbows and CPD's I have a 10 like this and with live plants and driftwood it looks awesome. The forktails really like a floating plant and are super active while the CPDs provide a different color in the tank but stay more in the plants relaxing.

9. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

They are danios, I should have been more clear in my first post, I was advising against almost every kind of danio.

Alan, Cpd's aka galaxy rasboras are the only danio I know of thats suitable for a 10g.

10. A

Oh okay, I was told by a few different people that Danios and neons are the only choice other than beta for very small tanks, so much information out there it's hard to filter out the wrong stuff! sorry for the bad info!

11. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Hi, Alan

Six Neon Tetras would be okay in a 10 Gallon, but some might disagree. They are active, but not as much as Danios.

But, ideally, the Neons would do a bit better in a 15-20 Gallon (on the minimum schooling number).

12. A

Okay thanks guys always good to learn, hope this helps OP too

13. f

fishlover123456 New Member Member

zebra dainos and glo fish are good choices

14. kinezumi89

I don't mean to be rude, but did you read the thread? We spent the last 10 posts discussing why danios are not appropriate for a 10 gallon tank. Glofish are just genetically modified zebra danios and they're too active for 10 gallons.

15. Jaysee

They are terrible choices for a 10 gallon.

16. Y

YoungClayB Valued Member Member

10 gallon tanks are always an interesting conundrum - if you stock them conservatively, then you end up with 1 fish or a insubstantial school of micro fish. On multiple occasions, I have consciously and carefully overstocked a 10 gallon tank with good results. The main things to consider when doing this are very frequent water changes (20-30% every 4-5 days) and to closely observe the behavior of your fish and be prepared to make stocking changes quickly if needed. So, if the 10g is your only tank, I would go the conservative route, but if you have other tanks, then why not have a little fun. Here are a few combos that I have either tried successfully or think would be cool:

Option 1:
    1 German Blue Ram
    6 Cardinal tetras
    4 Julie cories

Option 2:
    2 apistogramma cacatuoides (pair)
    6 harlequin rasboras
    4 Julie cories

Option 3:
    2 apistogramma agassizzi (pair)
    4 Julie cories
    3 Amano shrimp

Again, these combos are not for beginners and will work best in a heavily planted setup (lots of hiding places) and frequent water changes

17. Jaysee

I would be concerned about keeping bottom dwellers like Corys in a heavily planted 10 gallon tank. There is not enough bottom space as it is - heavily planting it will only reduce what little space is there.

18. Y

Yep. They definitely need room to move around and do their thing. Strategic "path placement" is key. Heavily planted doesn't mean that you have to have a carpet. I have 4 cories in this tank and they are very happy. (This is aforementioned option 3 by the way)
    [​IMG]

19. Y

Another 10 gallon enjoyment tip is to really focus on plants and maturing an aquascape. I enjoy fooling around with my plants tremendously. It doesn't have to be ALL about the fish. :)

20. kinezumi89

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think a GBR belongs in a 10 gallon. Definitely not cardinals; I think neons are too active personally and cardinals are much larger. Yes you can keep a few cories, but then they won't be in a full school, and you're stocking based on your wants over the fishes needs. Additionally!I wouldn't keep a pair of apistos in a 10; 20 preferably but 15 at the least.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice