10 gallon stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Gordinian, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Hello fishlore!

Well, I've decided my 10 gallon is a bit too boring for me. It used to have 1 betta and 6 pygmy cories in it; the cories always hid, and the betta has more of a shy personality, though I did see him every now and again.

Anyway, I moved the pygmies to my 20 gallon, and purchased 3 guppies (1 male, 2 females) for the 10 gallon. The betta's been a good boy, so I'm thinking I might want to add a few more guppies- definitely a couple more females.

I've been getting mixed reviews online about how many guppies can comfortably fit into a 10 gallon- and that's where you guys come in!

Thanks in advance!

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Are you mixing the Guppies with the Betta?

3. OP
    OP
    Gordinian

Yes I am :)

Don't worry, he's the nicest betta ever! He's already set up with the three and isn't even bothered!

4. A

Eventually, the Betta will think it's another Betta and it will be a blood bath. Anything that has a similar fin formation as the Betta, the Betta will attack it sooner or later.

Neon Tetras, Pygmy, Otos, etc are decent tank mates, but I highly advise to not keep the Guppies and Betta housed together.

5. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

If you do keep them together any ways its 1 in per gallon and I think guppies get 2 to 3 in so 7 to 8 will be fine.

6. A

The Gallon Rule does not apply to most fishes. It's about the room they need, the capacity for swimming, territory, etc.

Proper research is highly suggested in any fish keeping preparations.

7. OP
    OP
    Gordinian

I realize that that is a possibility and do have a back up plan, though I would really like to try it. I'll post a video below of the tank so that hopefully you'll understand that my betta really doesn't care.

That's generally what I was finding, though I was getting as high as 13 and as low as 4.

Aw, give me a little credit ;) I do plenty of research! I understand that in most cases this would be a terrible idea, but I honestly don't see a problem with this particular betta. He's a sweetie!

Video (not the best, I'm still new to videos!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsO-0x-stXg&feature=youtu.be

8. A

Good luck! :)

9. T

TheFishAddict Valued Member Member

I agree with Alex.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice